Extension

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The more inside the pitch is the more extension. Still say it happens naturally as a result of swinging hard. If you asked Betts if he works on his extension he probably wouldn't know what you were talking about. Might think you were referring to his arms extending or you were asking a very personal question.
Reminds me of the story about Chi Chi Rodriquez when he was exited to be asked to write an article for a golf magazine about putting technique and mechanics. After finishing the article he putted like shirt for two years. Thinking about it jacked him up. He was paid $200 to write the article but he said it cost him hundreds of thousands.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I see posture. He really turned on that one in order to get the bat head out front on the inside pitch.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The more inside the pitch is the more extension. Still say it happens naturally as a result of swinging hard. If you asked Betts if he works on his extension he probably wouldn't know what you were talking about. Might think you were referring to his arms extending or you were asking a very personal question.
Reminds me of the story about Chi Chi Rodriquez when he was exited to be asked to write an article for a golf magazine about putting technique and mechanics. After finishing the article he putted like shirt for two years. Thinking about it jacked him up. He was paid $200 to write the article but he said it cost him hundreds of thousands.

giphy.gif

High and inside to the upper deck. Even on this pitch he still is making square contact.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

Extension should be a result of location for sure. But you extend on everything. Timing also plays in. But most kids don’t know how to throw the barrel anyway so band aids and drills are given which makes things unnatural so spine extension leaves the sequence. So it might need to be built back in. We can say that about anything in the swing. But for me the back arm plays a critical role in getting to spine extension on time. It’s the effort that leads to the throw of the barrel.

1682652701503.gif

1682652760111.gif

The ‘master’ of throw the barrel. Or extending the barrel.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802