Exploding out of the box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2015
How can DD learn to explode out of the box? She is a lefty and slaps on occasion. Her HS coach is big on bunting. She has been timed to first by several different people and on several different occasions (including using lasers) and everyone says she's quick - not elite speed, just quick (usually right around 2.9). But it seems like it takes her forever to get out of the box. She definitely picks up speed as she goes because when she hits a triple she looks like lightning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2020
Have you taught about basic track sprinter training? Blocks and explosion off the line type training. If she learns how to explode when doing basic running it should transfer to fastpitch.......

Mar 10, 2020
How can DD learn to explode out of the box? She is a lefty and slaps on occasion. Her HS coach is big on bunting. She has been timed to first by several different people and on several different occasions (including using lasers) and everyone says she's quick - not elite speed, just quick (usually right around 2.9). But it seems like it takes her forever to get out of the box. She definitely picks up speed as she goes because when she hits a triple she looks like lightning.

Athletic testing for dd's provided feedback on underlying needs.
Researched and applied
training with plyometric agility drills. With get in box swing sprint repeat. Athletic testing again showed improved results.

Apr 26, 2015
Have you taught about basic track sprinter training? Blocks and explosion off the line type training. If she learns how to explode when doing basic running it should transfer to fastpitch.......

She actually runs track and broke her school' record in a qualifier and then broke it again at state as a freshman! But for whatever reason can't translate that to softball!

May 23, 2015
She actually runs track and broke her school' record in a qualifier and then broke it again at state as a freshman! But for whatever reason can't translate that to softball!

Have you noticed that she's watching the results of her hit after contact? Also watch her first couple of steps. Are they baby steps?

Apr 26, 2015
Have you noticed that she's watching the results of her hit after contact? Also watch her first couple of steps. Are they baby steps?

Hmmm - I will have to watch for both. I've never really paid attention to that. She has a game Thursday - I will take note!

I bought a skilz recoil 360 its a belt and bungie cord. Then I put an eye bolt through a used tire. DD drags the tire sideways both sides backwards then does sprints. This has increased her speed at least 500%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802