Experienced P, Inexperienced C

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2018
My DD is a starting P on a 2nd year 12s team. Recently their #1 C left the team, and now trying to train another player to C who has very little if any exp playing C. (Maybe a season of Rec a few years ago) My DD has been pitching 4+ years now, and considered #1 on her team.
Last weekend, the HC put the new C in with DD in a game against an even competition team. The C dropped 90% of her pitches, she ended up BB 3-4 players in 2 inning, 3 D3S, one which scores a 3B, and finally the C was pulled in the middle of an AB at the end of the 2nd inning because she kept taking her glove off and shaking her hand, and finally broke down in tears after the 3 or 4th run scored in steal Of home or overthrow to IF.
It was rough.
my DD was a good sport about it, but long term, I’m not sure this is going to work out.My DD likes this team a lot. Shes been on it a couple years.The HC says he’s working in recruiting another C. The other C w/exp ages up so will be left with only the new C unless he can find another one.My concern is if we stay on the team, this C is going to affect DD pitching. We spend a lot of outside time and $ working on pitching.
There’s another team abt 45 min away that’s much better then DD team overall and they recruited DD to pitch on that team. They have one of the best C in our region and 2 back ups, but DD doesn’t really know anyone on that team, and doesn’t want to leave her team.
I don’t know what to do. I’m concerned her current team won’t find a C and she will be stuck with this kid who cannot catch DD. it seems like a no brainer from a parents perspective to put DD on a team with a solid D and catching staff. But DD is “shy” and comfortable on this team, even though in a few weeks she will not have an experienced C unless they find one. Since it’s Covid, I’m not sure how that will go.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You're willing to pull the plug on a team your DD likes a lot after one experience with a brand-new catcher? Maybe consider that ANY player who is new to a position has a learning curve, and it's steepest at the beginning. Also consider the fact that C is one of the most challenging positions on the field. The fact that the C was upset about things tells me she gives a damn, and I would bet money she's going to work hard to improve her game.

How about this?...Invite the new C to catch bullpen sessions and/or lessons for your DD. Getting lots of reps is the best thing she can do as a newbie. Instead of complaining about how the new C is making your DD look bad, I would suggest making an effort to help her grow into an asset.

What age group is your DD?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
You're willing to pull the plug on a team your DD likes a lot after one experience with a brand-new catcher? Maybe consider that ANY player who is new to a position has a learning curve, and it's steepest at the beginning. Also consider the fact that C is one of the most challenging positions on the field. The fact that the C was upset about things tells me she gives a damn, and I would bet money she's going to work hard to improve her game.

How about this?...Invite the new C to catch bullpen sessions and/or lessons for your DD. Getting lots of reps is the best thing she can do as a newbie. Instead of complaining about how the new C is making your DD look bad, I would suggest making an effort to help her grow into an asset.

What age group is your DD?
This ^^^ is really all that needs to be said! Catching is hard, great catchers make it look easy! If it's too much for this new catcher she'll let you know, but give her some time first! It may end up benefiting your DD more than you know in the long run!

Jun 30, 2020
This ^^^ is really all that needs to be said! Catching is hard, great catchers make it look easy! If it's too much for this new catcher she'll let you know, but give her some time first! It may end up benefiting your DD more than you know in the long run!

Yep. Due to an unfortunate situation, my daughter was the only experienced catcher for a six game showcase this weekend. We had a girl who has been playing baseball trying out during the showcase and she is not used to catching softball at all. She had to fill in a couple of innings because my DD was getting tired and took a foul ball off her throwing hand. Lots of dropped and passed balls. First thing the mom did was come over to the parent of a pitcher that lived near them and ask if her daughter could come catch for the pitcher at one of her lessons.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Yep. Due to an unfortunate situation, my daughter was the only experienced catcher for a six game showcase this weekend. We had a girl who has been playing baseball trying out during the showcase and she is not used to catching softball at all. She had to fill in a couple of innings because my DD was getting tired and took a foul ball off her throwing hand. Lots of dropped and passed balls. First thing the mom did was come over to the parent of a pitcher that lived near them and ask if her daughter could come catch for the pitcher at one of her lessons.
Smart mom!

Jul 22, 2015
I agree with what has been said to some degree. Invite the C to every lesson and practice your dd has. In fact, the head coach should INSIST that the C practices with your dd no less than once per week

On the other hand…. it's not really your responsibility to be in the catcher development business. My first question when we were looking at teams in 12-14u was about the quality of the C. As a P you can overcome some bad defense, but bad catching just kills you. I'd let the coach know that you want to help the C but he needs to be beating the bushes to add a C.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Imagine this, today was hearing from a student's mom about the disaster pitcher on her daughter travel ball team 15 wild pitches and 3 over the plate and the 1/2 inning still wasnt over. All the time wild pitches.
These situations everyone at some point faces the complexities of making a decision for your dd's.
Remember the whole team has to endure it too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22