Even the Most Talented Benefit from Good Coaching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Whether you love him, think he’s silly, or fall somewhere in between, there’s no denying that Elvis Presley was one of the most recognizable and successful humans to ever walk the face of the earth. Even today, more than 40 years after his death, when I ask a young softball player if they know who […]

More...

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Nice read. I think the idea of have 12 different coaching styles for 12 different players is a little much and maybe taken a little too far. I like Wooden's "fairly but not equally". All that being said, I believe the players need to make some concessions and conform their personalities some too. It's not a one-way street. There needs to be some rules and guidelines that everybody is expected to adhere too.

Jul 27, 2021
Top pros often train and get help to be even better. Tiger Woods changed trainers and even took a year to build a different swing. Derek Jeter changed his trainers and training program after 15 years with the MLB to become even better.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Nice read. I think the idea of have 12 different coaching styles for 12 different players is a little much and maybe taken a little too far. I like Wooden's "fairly but not equally". All that being said, I believe the players need to make some concessions and conform their personalities some too. It's not a one-way street. There needs to be some rules and guidelines that everybody is expected to adhere too.

I think you have an overall team coaching style, and while you might adjust that some from year to year based on your roster, that is what it is.

But on an individual level, I think 12 styles for 12 players is correct (in reality, it's not 12 completely unique styles). The idea is you need to get to know your players and figure out what works for them. It's just how to best communicate. Do they prefer a visual? An explanation? Do they need to ask a bunch of questions? Does watching a video (of others, of themselves) help them? Do they need to keep hammering at the skill over and over or do they need to walk away for a bit to process? When the player screws up do they need a little yelling? Do they need encouragement? Do they need absolutely nothing (you'd be surprised how often "say nothing" is actually the right answer here!)?

I've spent a lot of time with my DW trying to figure out the best way to connect with certain players. And there are some players where she is the go-to coach for them just because they connect better and as long as the player receives the message, I don't care who delivers it.

Setting rules is only one very small part of coaching, and I agree that players need to conform when it comes to that. But the really important stuff, it has to be a lot more individual.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802