ESPN guns recalibrated this year.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Just wondering how they would "juice the gun"? Is there a calibration dial? Is there a way to juice my pocket radar? I know on golf simulators you can change the altitude and wind and hit the ball real far.

Aug 9, 2021
I saw a posted speed of 35 in the UCLA-FSU game yesterday. Something was definitely wrong with the radar because that pitch looked just like the upper 60's pitches before and after it.
We saw that too. Happened at least twice that we saw with balls below 40 and the next pitch over 60. Visually it was hard to tell the two speeds apart. Grain of salt...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
We saw that too. Happened at least twice that we saw with balls below 40 and the next pitch over 60. Visually it was hard to tell the two speeds apart. Grain of salt...

Looked to me like a radar or broadcast graphics issue. You would definitely see a ~30mph difference.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Just wondering how they would "juice the gun"? Is there a calibration dial? Is there a way to juice my pocket radar? I know on golf simulators you can change the altitude and wind and hit the ball real far.
Pocket radar is a very basic tool and will give you the top speed so you are getting the velocity out of the hand. An actual radar gun provides both the top end speed out of the hand and the terminal velocity at the plate. The greater the difference between the two the better. Most guns have the ability to provide an offset for when then gun is not directly behind the plate. This can be cranked up to provide wildly inaccurate readings.

Feb 15, 2017
Please estimate what angle would you say the gun is positioned on. Is 33 the catcher? And does the fence have any bearing on the sensor??
33 the batter for Texas

2a2f0ee8a6a5fcea7f7e904c430c8ce2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2018
Same one I have. Could be a legit 69mph pitch or if you tweak the settings the pitch could have been in the low 60's.

If you’re familiar with that model, does it actually have the ability to transmit the reading to the computer that’s creating the graphics, or is there still a human middleman?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28