end of season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
HS ball is over for our team for the season - was supposed to have 3 games this week but 2 got cancelled already since it'll be raining the rest of the week.
But DD ended on a good note - last game she was 2-3.
She ended up tied for 2nd in best BA - only one higher was our slapper who is super fast and our lead-off.
Also only struck out 1 time. She's super picky about what she swings at and she tends to think she knows the strike zone better than the ump so the majority of her strike outs have always been called - as was the one time she struck out. She'll foul balls off but she doesn't normally swing and miss a lot - I wish game changer had a stat for that.
She improved a lot from last season. She actually had a pretty good streak going towards the end where she was getting hits in every game. Saved a lot of newspaper articles where she was mentioned. One good thing about school ball ;)

Sad the season is over but excited for TB :)

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
So for fun - I went through all of DD's at bats and counted all of her swinging strikes.
With 225 pitches seen, she had 5 swinging strikes. And it wasn't like she got thrown a ton of balls either - she only walked 4 times the entire season (which compared to travel is hardly any for her).
I don't know how that compares or if it's a good thing or not. A few of the best hitters on her team struck out a lot and pretty much always on swinging strikes.

It did get to the point this season where it happened so rarely that I was always surprised when it happened.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
So for fun - I went through all of DD's at bats and counted all of her swinging strikes.
With 225 pitches seen, she had 5 swinging strikes. And it wasn't like she got thrown a ton of balls either - she only walked 4 times the entire season (which compared to travel is hardly any for her).
I don't know how that compares or if it's a good thing or not. A few of the best hitters on her team struck out a lot and pretty much always on swinging strikes.

It did get to the point this season where it happened so rarely that I was always surprised when it happened.

Only 225 pitches? How many plate appearances?

Hard to know how good without knowing other context (balls, strikes looking, balls in play, etc.), but not swinging and missing sounds good (just hypothetically, I'd think 5 swinging strikes is less good if she has 50 strikes looking, but maybe not).

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
She had 74 plate appearances so ~3 pitches per at bat. As far as called strikes - she had a tendency to let the first pitch go. But then she would get a lot of hits off the first pitch too. And some of her called strikes were a little iffy or they were just too far inside where she knew she wouldn't get anything out of it.

Still wish GC would give stats for more stuff like this. I'm a stat junkie.

Jan 3, 2021
Woah your guys’ school ball season is in the fall?! Here our school ball season always takes place in the spring because the fall is so cold. Usually fall is for the indoor sports like volleyball and basketball.

Anyways I love the type of hitters who go into an at bat and get a hit super early! Last year dd averaged 2.9 pitches per at bat because she usually made contact by the 1st or 2nd hit.

By the sound of it your dd was a super aggressive and smart hitter and a really good one at that!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
She had 74 plate appearances so ~3 pitches per at bat. As far as called strikes - she had a tendency to let the first pitch go. But then she would get a lot of hits off the first pitch too. And some of her called strikes were a little iffy or they were just too far inside where she knew she wouldn't get anything out of it.

Still wish GC would give stats for more stuff like this. I'm a stat junkie.

I don't track pitches like this (though I really should!), but ~3 pitches per at bat is really low (in the majors, the pitcher who led baseball was Cole Irvin with 3.5 pitches per at bat. I can't find hitters, but I imagine the hitter with the fewest pitches per at bat is around 3.5, too). I can see that softball being somewhat lower, but even if your HS ball has a bunch of dominant strike-throwers, 3 pitches per at bat seems pretty low.

It's interesting you say she's super picky, because it sounds like she's a real free swinger (who also happens to have a high contact ability). I'd be really interested in watching her play (not one at bat; can't learn much from that) because she has a unique hitter profile.

Is your DD Tony Gwynn?

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I don't track pitches like this (though I really should!), but ~3 pitches per at bat is really low (in the majors, the pitcher who led baseball was Cole Irvin with 3.5 pitches per at bat. I can't find hitters, but I imagine the hitter with the fewest pitches per at bat is around 3.5, too). I can see that softball being somewhat lower, but even if your HS ball has a bunch of dominant strike-throwers, 3 pitches per at bat seems pretty low.

It's interesting you say she's super picky, because it sounds like she's a real free swinger (who also happens to have a high contact ability). I'd be really interested in watching her play (not one at bat; can't learn much from that) because she has a unique hitter profile.

Is your DD Tony Gwynn?

I wouldn’t be surprised if she sees the ball well coupled with a self confidence in her hitting. She’ll wait for what she wants, but if it happens to be pitch #1 so be it.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Went back and looked at her TB stats - didn't go and count the swings and misses but did see her PS/PA is the lowest on the team (~3.1 for TB) - but she also had the most walks on the team too (23 in 143 PA) - so she must be swinging early for other ab's as well. Also led her team in BA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802