Emotional Stability in the Circle.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Can recall being on a team that our pitching staff
each on there best day
'Any-one' could be selected to start the game.
However only 2 were primarily used as starters.
The 3rd was not.

When I think back about the years playing with the third pitcher,
It was recognizable she had the most feisty personality on the field. She was the pitcher who would talk back to an umpire. She was the pitcher that showed emotional angst on the field. A spitfire perhaps, but feisty and body language showed it.
Looking back I dont think that hurt her performance as far as physical control throwing pitches, however definitely think it hurt her playing opportunity.

Maybe if someone pointed that out to her when she was younger,
as she was developing into her personality,
she would have gotten a handle on it and have more playing time when she got older.

Anyone on dfp getting a handle on their personality?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Use video as you would with any other mechanical issue. Sometimes this personality type may not recognize or believe that they are doing certain things and when pointed out and discussed can begin to control it. Certain "tells" that show when a pitcher is pissed or frustrated can and should be reduced. BTW, a good catcher with skills (lol, referencing another thread on here) will usually be the first to see these telltale signs and can bring it up or otherwise work with the pitcher but the pitcher needs to know how to make the adjustment. Emotion and energy can be a two edged sword out there.

Nov 8, 2018
Attitude definitely matters. With the coach , the umpire and even teammates. Bieber if she was sticking everyone out no one would care. It’s the nature of the beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Only matters if her personality affects how she performs. Or if it affects how the ump and her
Teammates respond to her personality. These kids aren’t robots.

If a boy gets pissed off and stomps around a bit he is a competitor, fiery. If a girl does it she is out of control and bitchy.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD was not best the pitcher in the world but she had a habit of winning.

She left umps alone, never will go well for you attacking umpire.

Teammates...

She yelled at some of them, staired at some, coddle some of them. Her knowing her Teammates was more of her success then her actual pitching.

Aug 21, 2008
Maybe if someone pointed that out to her when she was younger,
as she was developing into her personality,
she would have gotten a handle on it and have more playing time when she got older.
RAD, I don't wanna put words in your mouth but based on what you wrote, it seems the other 2 pitchers were instructed to keep their emotions in check. In all probability, this #3 girl was told that too. But, some people don't have that personality. I didn't have that trait either, while I tried not to show up the umpires I would absolutely talk to them between innings and tell them what I think. If done in the right way, in right context, I think the majority of umpires want feed back. But, again, it depends on how someone goes about the feedback. A famous conversation in a highly tense match between the #1 and 2 teams in the world during the final of an invitational tournament when the umpire was having an awful game (he apologized to both teams after because he knew he was awful) went like this:

Unnamed player (pitcher) "Chris, you better pull your head out. I can't throw it over the middle to this team and that plate isn't round, it's got corners. I'm a good enough pitcher to hit those corners!"

Umpire Chris: Calm down Bi... I mean, calm down "Bob". Keep your emotions and words in check here, I'd hate to toss you in this situation.

Unnamed player: OH yea? Can you toss me out for what I THINK of your calls??

Umpire Chris: No, not for what you think. Only what you say.

Unnamed player: Good, cause I think you absolutely suck today!!!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
RAD, I don't wanna put words in your mouth but based on what you wrote, it seems the other 2 pitchers were instructed to keep their emotions in check. In all probability, this #3 girl was told that too. But, some people don't have that personality. I didn't have that trait either, while I tried not to show up the umpires I would absolutely talk to them between innings and tell them what I think. If done in the right way, in right context, I think the majority of umpires want feed back. But, again, it depends on how someone goes about the feedback. A famous conversation in a highly tense match between the #1 and 2 teams in the world during the final of an invitational tournament when the umpire was having an awful game (he apologized to both teams after because he knew he was awful) went like this:

Unnamed player (pitcher) "Chris, you better pull your head out. I can't throw it over the middle to this team and that plate isn't round, it's got corners. I'm a good enough pitcher to hit those corners!"

Umpire Chris: Calm down Bi... I mean, calm down "Bob". Keep your emotions and words in check here, I'd hate to toss you in this situation.

Unnamed player: OH yea? Can you toss me out for what I THINK of your calls??

Umpire Chris: No, not for what you think. Only what you say.

Unnamed player: Good, cause I think you absolutely suck today!!!
Good to add perspectives

There is also the chance that the personality of the third pitcher was allowed to
continue un-checked...
Until they met a coach to check in with it.🤫

😏 think you understand the gist of the post.

Lol are you suggesting that picthers should just yell from the rubber to umpires issues they deem irritating to them on the field,

Never mind waiting for a coach to handle something or bring it to the coach in the first place so they can handle it. Things like that what I'm talking about

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Seems to me that some attitude in the circle is necessary. Whether the pitcher agrees with the call or not, that's not what they need to be thinking about. As Bill Hillhouse instilled in my thinking as a coach and what I try to instill in my pitchers as a general rule is that a pitch thrown is a pitch they no longer have control over. It's history. They can't change it. The most important pitch ever, is the next one they throw! Coaches have to not only keep their pitchers in check sometimes, it's their responsibility to make sure that they are mentally tough enough to compete at the levels they want to. Reigning them in sometimes is not out of the question IMO. There's a fine line between "feisty" and "out of control."

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Just for ongoing conversation ask these questions~
Knowing the pitcher could have an attitude blow out on any given day~

Would you pick up a pitcher to be on your team who throws tantrums? And you already know it.
Say 16u and older travel?

Would you let them on the mound on varsity in high school?

How about college, do you think that would hurt their recruitment opportunities?

As a parent would you want to play on a travel ball team and know that you're going to spend thousands of dollars as a group going to a tournament in another state and you see that's the pitcher that's on the mound the beginning of tournament play?
Here comes potential drama bomb?!

imo
Composure on the mound can really make a positive impact.

Anyone getting a handle on their personality?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28