[emoji15]Extending College Eligibility Again

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2011
My daughter is a 2019. Her freshman season was cut short due to covid-19, and I'm not that optimistic a 2021 season will happen. Both of last year's seniors are back as grad students. If there's money available for her to get a grad degree while taking her four full years of eligibility, I have no doubt she'll do it, and I'll encourage her to do so.

Dec 11, 2010
Tonight when I talked to her, DD wasn’t very impressed with the fate of “facing a bunch of 25 year old pitchers”, lol

Her team has two super seniors, both pitchers. She has mentioned how they are above and beyond anything she has seen before.

Mar 26, 2016
I dont see NCAA extending another year of eligibility, if they do I think you will start to see schools say they are not honoring it. These are non revenue sports, and some schools athletic department's are already bleeding money.

Also, if you see fall sports completed, winter sports completed, we would see major backlash if they then decided to cancel spring sports

Nov 5, 2014
I dont see NCAA extending another year of eligibility, if they do I think you will start to see schools say they are not honoring it. These are non revenue sports, and some schools athletic department's are already bleeding money.

Also, if you see fall sports completed, winter sports completed, we would see major backlash if they then decided to cancel spring sports
The problem is they gave another year of eligibility to both fall and winter athletes regardless of whether they complete the season. (I can't understand the logic of this)

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I have a friend whose DD has played about 50 games and will still be a freshman this coming season. She will basically graduate with a masters while finishing her softball career.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My daughter is a 2019. Her freshman season was cut short due to covid-19, and I'm not that optimistic a 2021 season will happen. Both of last year's seniors are back as grad students. If there's money available for her to get a grad degree while taking her four full years of eligibility, I have no doubt she'll do it, and I'll encourage her to do so.

My DD is in a similar position. There were 3 seniors last year. One graduated and moved on. The other two are playing another year. Her team played 2 games in the spring of 2020 and then the season was cancelled. So in my opinion they missed the entire year. Giving them another year of eligibility just gets them back to 4 years. DD is undecided what she will do. She will be in graduate school so she could conceivably play. She just isn't sure if the clinicals will give her the necessary time to play. She still has time to work this all out.

I also agree that the 2021 season is very much in question. The PSAC which is a large D2 conference in my area just announced yesterday that they are cancelling all winter sports.

Apr 24, 2017
Georgia
I do think it is worrisome my 18 year old (late birthday) could potentially be facing 24-25 year old women playing NCAA softball her freshman year (assuming you have a few that redshirted then used an extra two years of eligibility). And doesn't that change the dynamics in the locker room, weight room, and on the field? Maybe for the better, maybe not. It stinks both ways but the high school girls aren't getting an extra year of varsity eligibility. One year of extra eligibility I agree was the right thing to do. Two years? I really question if that is the right decision. BUT this is also the first talk I have heard of an additional year of eligibility. Everything I have heard so far is this year says they will play in some capacity (limited/no fans, online classes during season, staying in their "bubble", playing in conference only, or some combination of these restrictions).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802