Emma Progression 12/2020 update

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Latest Update: Opinions please!!

I like the "down to" movement of the barrel.. She appears to allow the deltoid to whip the barrel.. Very powerful whip..

I would focus on getting leveraged and allow the core contraction to whip the barrel while keeping the hands back.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I like the "down to" movement of the barrel.. She appears to allow the deltoid to whip the barrel..
Yep, the 'down to' is the hands dropping the bat level to the ball on the tee.
I'll add shifting the weight to the front side before swinging. DD does have the 'point the toes to China' down...though.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I do not know how to capture freeze frame but at heel plant her shoulders should still be pointing slightly downhill (practice super low tee/gatorade bottle high) and her head should be done moving forward. Her head move a good 5 or 6 inches forward after heel plant. Hard to hit the with the eyes moving that much. Put her into a toe touch position (hands still back). Drop the heel, slot the elbow and turn without moving her head forward(eyes).

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
for me the sequence is flawed. the early ‘hand load’ isn’t what I would prescribe too. I want the hands to get loaded from the pelvis advancing. Not any early hip coil or early counter rotation of the shoulders. For me that is the result which loads the hands. IOW the advancing of the pelvis w a reactive closed upper should load the hands later,.. also the hands don’t need to get behind the torso to load. They can/should stay on the toe line. Casting or postural issues ensue if the hands aren’t free to whip the barrel.

1607144860861.gif

1607144683338.gif

1607145819350.gif

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
for me the sequence is flawed. the early ‘hand load’ isn’t what I would prescribe too. I want the hands to get loaded from the pelvis advancing. Not any early hip coil or early counter rotation of the shoulders. For me that is the result which loads the hands. IOW the advancing of the pelvis w a reactive closed upper should load the hands later,.. also the hands don’t need to get behind the torso to load. They can/should stay on the toe line. Casting or postural issues ensue if the hands aren’t free to whip the barrel.

View attachment 20334

View attachment 20332

View attachment 20335

You know you just described TTB vs push.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You know you just described TTB vs push.

I don’t think so. I was talking about getting the hands connected to the pelvis’ advance and the resistance of the upper body in sequence to attain a good ‘load’ or ‘stretch’. Probably better know as ‘hips forward, hands back’.

I think the barrel will turn from getting the bat on plane with the pitch via the hands or arms. It will turn much more for an outside pitch and much less for an inside pitch. Handset, pre pitch moves and location of the pitch will dictate this.

I don’t think one should TTB rearward for speed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802