Emma Progression 12/2020 update

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
Alright fellows and ladies. 2nd eyes requested again to help us on the journey. I am much better at analyzing other kids swings than my own. BIAS is real. Thanks again.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Alright fellows and ladies. 2nd eyes requested again to help us on the journey. I am much better at analyzing other kids swings than my own. BIAS is real. Thanks again.

theres a lot to like here James ! Sagittal load is present. I would learn how to NOT rotate as much as she does. Creates a longer swing. As well as harder to get to inside pitches.

Very few strikes were thrown so.. hard to judge, but her adjustments looked good. I wrote in the bat lag thread about adjusting the length of lag one should have on in and out pitches. Might help here, since you’re an ‘on top’ and ‘knob’ ‘hands’ guy.

I think she is much improved. Are there any glaring issues you notice with regularity? Otherwise I would keep working. Really like her progression.

Nov 16, 2017
theres a lot to like here James ! Sagittal load is present. I would learn how to NOT rotate as much as she does. Creates a longer swing. As well as harder to get to inside pitches.

Very few strikes were thrown so.. hard to judge, but her adjustments looked good. I wrote in the bat lag thread about adjusting the length of lag one should have on in and out pitches. Might help here, since you’re an ‘on top’ and ‘knob’ ‘hands’ guy.

I think she is much improved. Are there any glaring issues you notice with regularity? Otherwise I would keep working. Really like her progression.

Thanks man, she keeps working.

I threw the ball all around on purpose. Didn't want a down the middle this is my perfect swing analysis.

As for me she is staying a little connected too long. I think she should be moving into palm up here and getting to radial deviation and not forced supination. You may hear me say get to palm up.

1593794782233.png

She is reaching for the outside and not allowing it to travel.

1593795031902.png

Nov 16, 2017
Nice looking swing overall. Is that a field behind the cage? In the backyard of a house? If so - that is amazing.

Yeah I put a "mini" field in my back yard.

I coach a 14U and 12U(assist) travel team. I put 2 sections of turf 60' x 15. One in the cage and the other for a 9' tall net for tee work. We have batting practice at my house.

1593795645393.png
The infield area is for pitching and for my younger sons to have some fun whiffle ball games.

Summer in NC it is HOT!! So I tell the girls if they come and work hard they get to get in here.

1593795692987.png

I have 8 kids, one is 27 and on his own. 7 in the house. Emma is number 3.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Thanks man, she keeps working.

I threw the ball all around on purpose. Didn't want a down the middle this is my perfect swing analysis.

As for me she is staying a little connected too long. I think she should be moving into palm up here and getting to radial deviation and not forced supination. You may hear me say get to palm up.

View attachment 18456

She is reaching for the outside and not allowing it to travel.

View attachment 18457

yes. We are saying the same thing in different ways. The over connected look is bc rotation stops too late. The over reach is lack of lag on the low and away location that is needed. Basically releasing too early.

I would work the Barry drill with the goal of hitting the lowest line drives possible during regular height front toss in and out. To hit low liners one must let it travel and be ‘down to’.

1593796473749.gif

I would close off her stance a bit to help her feel the front hip stop which will fling the torso forward quicker. Once felt she might not need to close off anymore. Or she might like the feel.

I think the Chipper gif is what you’re after. Do it with the tee and toss.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

I'm guessing she is 13 or 14. The reason for the guess is at that age the kids seem to be challenged in doing the same thing twice in a row LOL. Her stride leg raise has multiple variations. Is she picking up the heel at release then the load phase varies on her pitch recognition?

Appears to be strong mentally. Not once did she look at the camera and scream "WHY ME!" :eek:

May 12, 2016
Yeah I put a "mini" field in my back yard.

I coach a 14U and 12U(assist) travel team. I put 2 sections of turf 60' x 15. One in the cage and the other for a 9' tall net for tee work. We have batting practice at my house.

View attachment 18458
The infield area is for pitching and for my younger sons to have some fun whiffle ball games.

Summer in NC it is HOT!! So I tell the girls if they come and work hard they get to get in here.

View attachment 18459

I have 8 kids, one is 27 and on his own. 7 in the house. Emma is number 3.
Beauty spot James.. congrats! Your ball kids must be very happy group :). Your DD and my DD (when she played) spittin image on the outside pitch. What helped her was let it get a little deeper.. and a little flexion in the front knee at heel plant if her timing was off so she could adapt easier

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
She gets into a decent downhill shoulder position but the at launch she artificially lifts her lead shoulder, comes out of her posture resulting in the "up move". She needs to stay in her posture, keep hip flexion(and more) and maintain spine angle. Spine angle can change minutely to adjust to pitch hieght or location. Pitch her down and away. She will not be able to drive the ball oppo if she is coming out of her legs early. Also sometimes dads pitch too slow with too much arc and the young player stands because their eyes take them there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478