Elbow guard discussion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
Worse that you think thats the problem solver to errant pitches.
Serious question --- Why does there have to be a "problem solver" for errant pitches? It's part of the game. You don't see Pitchers covered in pads to protect against hits up the middle. If you don't like getting hit by pitches, probably shouldn't sign up for a sport where you get hit by pitches. Sort of like if you don't like diving on gym floors you shouldn't sign up to play volleyball and if you don't like heights you shouldn't sign up for diving.

There are certain things that go hand in hand with that particular sport. If one of those things is something that is so off putting you have to suit up like a hockey goalie to avoid, you're playing the wrong sport.

Aug 17, 2019
Serious question --- Why does there have to be a "problem solver" for errant pitches? It's part of the game. You don't see Pitchers covered in pads to protect against hits up the middle. If you don't like getting hit by pitches, probably shouldn't sign up for a sport where you get hit by pitches. Sort of like if you don't like diving on gym floors you shouldn't sign up to play volleyball and if you don't like heights you shouldn't sign up for diving.

There are certain things that go hand in hand with that particular sport. If one of those things is something that is so off putting you have to suit up like a hockey goalie to avoid, you're playing the wrong sport.
Guess you haven't seen Men's slow pitch softball? Pitchers are wearing shin guards and I have seen some wearing hockey masks.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Well how do you handle the elbow in the strike zone situation? I see it all the time. The batter has her elbow in the strike zone prior to pitch thrown. Think some coaches teach it.

A batter hit by a ball in the strike zone is a strike on the batter.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yeah but how do you alert ump to call it that way?
From the catching perspective it's pretty easy to see when there are body parts in the river or crossing the plate.
That said think it puts umpires in a weird situation because when a batter does get hit by the pitch...
And the batter is all
'OUCH' about it
The umpire is the person that has to say
'NOPE' it's your own fault you leaned into it or turned your body into it.
And it makes the Umpire the bad person.

Especially because MOST EVERYONE AT THE FIELD COULDNT SEE WHAT THE BATTER DID.

It extra tough because
batters get hit by pitches both intentionally or unfortunately.
(But this is just like many of the obstruction calls made.)
*Doesnt matter intent.
What matters is the batter put themself in the wrong place!

Call it.

Here's a tip
Can always have the catcher or pitcher ask politely
'Pardon, Umpire, are batters allowed to get into the way of the pitch? Outside the box?'
The answer should Clarify the rule.

Unfortunately if the umpire doesn't call it immediately it's probably already in the past but at least a polite question pointing out an issue can create awareness.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think the catcher(has the best view) should call time and motion the coach off the bucket and alert coach to what she is seeing. (With all heads nodding in Agreement) and coach should gently inform umpire to what catcher has brought to his or hers attention. Same situation with runners leaving early.
Oh yeah..... elbow pads. Well the reason they are so comfortable leaning over there plate us because it doesn't hurt anymore. Pain is real.

Oct 27, 2020
I played baseball at a semi high level and didn’t enjoyed getting hit. Is it part of the game? Sure. However you view it , technology is a great thing and I encourage anything reasonable and legal to make the game as safe as possible for my daughter and players as possible. Not every young lady is built the same nor have the same tolerance for pain. The size of the elbow pad or elbow guard has no reference of one’s ability to play the game at any level. Please encourage these discussions how to make the game safer and better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812