Duke Bluedevil softball program

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Duke is a #1 seed - but can't host. Their stadium doesn't meet NCAA standards, so they go to Georgia. Pretty weak regional, though, so maybe that was the compensation.

Eight of the 16 regionals are at SEC schools. I love SEC softball, but SEC teams got way too much love in the draw.

Not sure if Duke’s field qualifies to host a regional or not. This year the sites were pre selected due to Covid. That’s how Georgia gets to host without being a top 16 seed. They should have moved Georgia to a different regional. Seems the committee pulls some sort of shenanigans for the SEC every year.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
If I recall correctly, JAD's daughter ran into injury problems at some point during her freshman season and took a medical leave and later decided not to play anymore (I think coaching issues may have played a part as well??). It was pretty cool watching her as the starting pitcher in Duke's first game ever.

Regarding Clemson, they got screwed big time by the committee.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
But Duke is the only #1 seed not hosting, right? So you're saying 15 #1 seeds were selected to host before they were picked as #1 seeds?

Actually, 20 schools were pre-selected/approved as possible Regional hosts. I assume the committee felt that 16 out of those 20 were likely to be #1 seeds, but in the end Duke spoiled that by winning their conference tournament. If Clemson had won the tourney, I assume they would been a #1 regional seed (although I don't recall if they were one of the pre-approved host sites).

Mar 4, 2015
New England
Actually, 20 schools were pre-selected/approved as possible Regional hosts. I assume the committee felt that 16 out of those 20 were likely to be #1 seeds, but in the end Duke spoiled that by winning their conference tournament. If Clemson had won the tourney, I assume they would been a #1 regional seed (although I don't recall if they were one of the pre-approved host sites).

Didn't realize that. For a borderline #1 seed, Duke got a great draw except for the road part. If they can't beat Georgia, even at Georgia, they are not worthy of advancing, IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45