Dropping hands

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
My daughter has had success with a simple device made from 1/2” pvc pipe with a grip at one end and a collar at the other end that slides and clicks when the hands are in the right position before the forward swing starts. The palms go from facing each other with the hands in a vertical position to the left palm on top of the right palm as the bat is swung through the zone. The thought is for the palms to rotate rather than having the hands drop as the first motion. My daughter has been able to hit the high and inside pitch that was giving her trouble when she was dropping her hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
This product may actually work for some people (almost every other hitting aid is destructive).

I would like to see videos of kids using it to see if it fixed their swing. It looks like it may fix what some call 'arm bar', and some 'casting'. It may fix some early (but not late) bat drag caused during the stride (but not after). But it may make a push swing worse, or cause a push swing if you don't have one already (when the bat device slides off the strap too early)

Very interesting new device.

Could you show me an example of a push swing? If there is an MLB example of it that would be better. I am trying to reconcile how I tell DD to get hands moving without causing a push. But I am feeling that it won’t be a push as long as the body is doing what it needs to.

Reactions: TDS
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Another thing about dropping the hands. The hitter might be trying to line everything up before the swing. When they need to swing and adjust together.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
1. Could you show me an example of a push swing?

2. If there is an MLB example of it that would be better.

3. I am trying to reconcile how I tell DD to get hands moving without causing a push.
1. push swing - hands push too early
hitting-drills-two-tee-drill-animated.giflauren-chamberlin-demo.gif

2. MLB hitters would not normally do push swings, or they wouldnt be drafted

3. I would not tell anyone to 'get their hands moving'. It would most likely lead to a push. You would be better off telling them to keep their hands near the armpit as long as they can hold them. Like Manny..
Miggy_Hands-TTB.gif

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
The hands push Bc of lack of an engine. Nothing more. some think it’s bc theres no connection. That’s the result not the cause. So you get connected to the torso, hold the hands ‘back’ and then it’s drag.

edit: if the engine isn’t engaged during the negative move you will either drag or push, depends on what band-aid you’ve applied.

May 12, 2016
1. push swing - hands push too early
View attachment 23365View attachment 23368

2. MLB hitters would not normally do push swings, or they wouldnt be drafted

3. I would not tell anyone to 'get their hands moving'. It would most likely lead to a push. You would be better off telling them to keep their hands near the armpit as long as they can hold them. Like Manny..
View attachment 23366
Just for clarity.. this is not a swing, it's a demo and a lot of ingredients are missing. It's important to keep that in mind
1623420717963.gif

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
The hands push Bc of lack of an engine. Nothing more. some think it’s bc theres no connection. That’s the result not the cause. So you get connected to the torso, hold the hands ‘back’ and then it’s drag.

edit: if the engine isn’t engaged during the negative move you will either drag or push, depends on what band-aid you’ve applied.
I like this explanation. If no engine then the only way to get the barrel forward is to push with the hands. I don't think there is a 'push swing' so to speak, more of a 'no engine' swing...... That makes more sense to me, because i think the arms are doing relatively the same thing in either swing, but the torso/engine definitely does 2 separate things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802