Dropped third strike help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2019
Two outs. Runner on third. Pitcher strikes batter out. Ball gets by catcher. Runner on third runs home and steps on plate before catcher throws ball to first. Does run count? Thanks.

Jun 4, 2019
Batter struck out but drop third. They said that run crossed plate before ball was threw to 1st.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Batter struck out but drop third. They said that run crossed plate before ball was threw to 1st.
I am going to assume that there were already 2 outs when this happened.
The answer depends on what happens after the ball was thrown. Was the batter/runner out at first? Then no run. Same as any other force out for the third out of an inning.

May 29, 2015

This question seems to be popping up more often ... and I think the confusion may come from the fact that another play is often botched also.

A run cannot score when the last out of the inning is a FORCE out. A FORCE occurs when a runner is forced to advance. On an uncaught third strike, the batter runner is required to advance ... thus a U3K is a FORCE play (not a TIME play). Timing is irrelevant.

The play that may have put this out there is a runner leaving a base too soon on a fly out. Although a runner is required to return to the base, they are not forced to do so (the definition of a force play requires advancement, not a burden to perform an action). Thus, it is a time play and the run could score with the runner called out on an appeal, not a force. Somehow I can't help but think that play being a POE in the last few years gave rise to the misconception about a U3K being a time play.

Jun 4, 2019
Thank you all. I figured I was in the right,but I am one not to argue with an official. Go to next play,unless it was going to decide game in my opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802