Dropped 3rd, catcher hits runner.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
So, I saw this in the game adjacent to the field my DDs were playing on - dropped 3rd strike, catcher picks up the ball, throws and hit the runner, who is in fair territory, in the legs. Ball bounces back towards catcher and as runner reaches first the field umpire calls her safe. The home plate umpire then signals out, ending the game. Is this the right call?

Aug 25, 2019
Well, it depends on where the runner is, if she is more than halfway to 1st and not in the running lane, then she would be out for interference., if she was less than halfway, it's a live ball, and she would be safe. Although there could be an argument that if she was halfway down the line, a throw at the legs would not be an accurate throw to 1st therefore she would not be interfering with the throw.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Here's video of the play:

Would have called her out, but the catcher needs the footwork to get inside on that play. Where she threw from would make for a very difficult play even if the runner had been outside the line.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Questionable "quality throw". Probably out though.

Let's talk about the field though! Love the different fence heights. And does that (what looks like) grass berm in right field ever cause any interesting plays?

Also, minor grind...hate that the circle isn't drawn, and hate the wavy foul lines.

May 20, 2015
out all day......throw was not that bad at all, she was more than halfway, way inside the line

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Did anyone else think the catcher hit her intentionally?

It's not malicious, but I thought it looked like a 3/4 speed throw at the runner to use the rulebook to her advantage. Otherwise, I'd expect a high throw to get it over her. Instead we got a waist high throw that looked like she took some zip off it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22