Drop 11 Bats

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2021
Northern VA
I’ve seen a few comments in general discussions about no matter what bat you choose to stay away from drop 11, but never any reasoning why. Can anyone please explain how much of a difference there is between say a 32/21 and 32/22? Is there less pop? My DD is 13 with a medium build (5’5 125) and relatively strong for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The major issue is the thinner wall of the bat they need to use to make it lighter. That can lead to bats breaking easier. That's the theory, at least. Also, there's less mass in a -11 bat, so it won't generate as much power as a heavier bat will.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have never been a big bat person but. ..

I do not think the -11 has the same pop as a -10. Your DD is bigger then mine when she started swinging a. -10. You can get into a conflict with length vs weight at younger ages.

Oct 4, 2018
If a bat is 32 inches long, the outer dimensions of the bat are the same if it's drop 8, drop 9, drop 10, drop 11. Right? Bat looks the same for all of them.

But in observing the bat breakages, it seems like most/many happen with the drop 11s. Seems that to make that bat lighter but be the same volume/shape means they have to use less material to make the bat. My theory is that it makes those bats a bit weaker.

May 16, 2016
Can anyone please explain how much of a difference there is between say a 32/21 and 32/22?

At younger ages, the lighter -11's lighter weight will allow a faster swing speed, and more pop over the -10. But at some point, they get stronger, and the bat speed becomes basically the same with either weight, then the heavier -10 is going to have more pop.

For my DDs, it was at the 32" length in 12u where this became apparent. She started 12u with a new 32" -11, but it just didn't seem to have any "pop". Moving her to a 32" -10, and the "pop" returned instantly.

Funny story, in 14u, my DD1 was the first on her team to get a new (first generation) Ghost Advanced. It was a 33" -9. A few HRs later, and half the team bought one also. One weekend, after finishing a Sat only tournament, we decided to pick up with another team at a different tourney on Sunday. She played well, and hit two ground rule doubles that 1 hopped over the temporary fences. The team did not advance, so we were 1 and done.

On the drive home, she mentions that she got her bat mixed up with "Lucy" when packing up at the Saturday tournament. I asked, "Lucy" has a Ghost Advanced too? Didn't you notice it was shorter?"

DD1 said, "no, she swings a 33" too"

I responded, "really?"

DD1 said, "yes, a 33" -11"

Astonished, I told her, "you know what that means, right?" She looked puzzled and said, "No, what?"

"Those two bombs that bounced just short of the fence, would have been over the fence with your bat that is 2 ounces heavier.... "

Over the course of a few seconds, her face went from puzzled, to disbelief, to sad realization that I was probably right. LOL

Aug 8, 2016
I have an undersized daughter (120 pounds), who is playing 18u and still using a -11. And not a slapper, she hits for power. The Demarini she uses is pretty predictable on when it is starting to go, and they have been lasting in the 9 to 11 month range, though we always have a second one broken in and ready to go, just in case.

Message me and I will send you the link to the highlight videos with the 10u bat (as her teammates like to tease).

Aug 5, 2022
I have an undersized daughter (120 pounds), who is playing 18u and still using a -11. And not a slapper, she hits for power. The Demarini she uses is pretty predictable on when it is starting to go, and they have been lasting in the 9 to 11 month range, though we always have a second one broken in and ready to go, just in case.

Message me and I will send you the link to the highlight videos with the 10u bat (as her teammates like to tease).

Not sure why you think 120lbs is undersized? Mine is about that same size and looks very normal sized on the softball field. She’s 5ft 6 and honestly more of a power hitter than anything else. Admittedly she did look a little undersized at some of our visits this fall before she committed but she is 16 and Kayla kowalik is 23 lol

May 20, 2016
My DD has always used a drop 11. Never had an issue with breakage. Have seen countless ghost drop 10s on her team break in that time period. Has no problem hitting for power either. Uses a 33/22 Xeno.

Aug 8, 2016
Not sure why you think 120lbs is undersized? Mine is about that same size and looks very normal sized on the softball field. She’s 5ft 6 and honestly more of a power hitter than anything else. Admittedly she did look a little undersized at some of our visits this fall before she committed but she is 16 and Kayla kowalik is 23 lol

5'2". Has always been the smallest on the field and can still fit into youth sized shirts.

Oct 4, 2018
My DD has always used a drop 11. Never had an issue with breakage. Have seen countless ghost drop 10s on her team break in that time period. Has no problem hitting for power either. Uses a 33/22 Xeno.

Like someone said on another thread, bad contact breaks bats.

I watched my older DD hit one off the connection. Ooops, a few at bats later and the bat was in two pieces.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28