DP/Flex rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
When a pitcher is batting for herself and the Flex is a fielder, if the pitcher gets removed and replaced with a PO, is the only option to pinch hit for the PO when she gets up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
When a pitcher is batting for herself and the Flex is a fielder, if the pitcher gets removed and replaced with a PO, is the only option to pinch hit for the PO each time she gets up?

Sorry, but not sure I know what a PO is?

Jun 11, 2013
When a pitcher is batting for herself and the Flex is a fielder, if the pitcher gets removed and replaced with a PO, is the only option to pinch hit for the PO each time she gets up?

I don't know what a PO is but the flex has nothing to do with the pitcher. It's not like baseball with a DH.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
PO = pitcher only who doesn’t hit for herself

In my example, the flex at the start of a game is a fielder other than the pitcher, who is hitting for herself. The DP is hitting for that fielder. If the pitcher who is hitting for herself gets removed from the game and is replaced by a PO (again, pitcher who doesn’t hit for herself), then the only option is to have her pinch hit for and reentered, correct?

May 29, 2015
PO = pitcher only who doesn’t hit for herself

In my example, the flex at the start of a game is a fielder other than the pitcher, who is hitting for herself. The DP is hitting for that fielder. If the pitcher who is hitting for herself gets removed from the game and is replaced by a PO (again, pitcher who doesn’t hit for herself), then the only option is to have her pinch hit for and reentered, correct?

You could teach her to hit. 🤷‍♂️

If I am understanding your example correctly, the pitcher is not involved in your DP/Flex. Those positions have nothing to do with your pitcher in that case.

So then, yes ... your options are she either bats or you substitute for her. She has one re-entry available. The next time she comes up to bat, she can bat for herself or be substituted for. If you bat for her with a a second substitution, the pitcher cannot re-enter the game.

Jul 22, 2015
Ideally you would plan better. For example, in this case I'd probably have the 2nd pitcher listed as my starting pitcher and flex in the original lineup, with my actual starting pitcher listed as DP. At the plate meeting I'd sub in my DP for my pitcher (flex) after the lineup is accepted. Then, when you need a relief pitcher she can re-enter without changing your bating lineup. Or, if you set up you lineup as in your original post, you could just sub the relief pitcher into the flex position and another player to replace the original pitcher (if she couldn't play the position the flex did).

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019
Yes, you would have to pinch hit for her and then re-enter her. 1 time allowed.

The dp/flex is confusing at first. Took me about 3 years, but I think I figured it out :ROFLMAO:

In your case the pitcher is just another position.

May 29, 2015
Yes, you would have to pinch hit for her and then re-enter her. 1 time allowed.

The dp/flex is confusing at first. Took me about 3 years, but I think I figured it out :ROFLMAO:

In your case the pitcher is just another position.

Nah ... the rule isn't confusing. What people try to do with it is confusing. 😋

May 8, 2009
Florida
Totally agree with TMIB.

The easiest way to remember how the rule works is that the DP & Flew are joined at the hip in the batting order. The Flex can only come in to bat for the DP, which would a substitution - the DP has left the game. As long as the Flex plays defense, you can sit any of the other nine and there is no substitution since the Flex hasn't left the game. The second the Flex sits, you have made a substitution for her. You simply track who is not playing the role assigned - and you will know where the substitution has happened.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12