"Don't let distance be a factor"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
It's that time, and coaches are posting tryouts. I often see them say not to let distance be a factor in whether to come try out for a team. I'm curious what's meant by that. Does it mean they have plans to work with people who are too far to make practices regularly? Or does it just mean suck it up and make the drive? Just curious because I keep seeing that.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
It's that time, and coaches are posting tryouts. I often see them say not to let distance be a factor in whether to come try out for a team. I'm curious what's meant by that. Does it mean they have plans to work with people who are too far to make practices regularly? Or does it just mean suck it up and make the drive? Just curious because I keep seeing that.

It means suck it up and make the drive (unless it is one of those powerhouse statewide/multi-state teams where you will need to suck it up and make the drive only on weekends but it will be a DRIVE)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think I lot of it depends on how good the player is. The Team will make a lot of accommodations for a really good player, compared to what else the Team has. Good or average player they will probably ask you to suck it up.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
Here in the greater Houston area, I have heard of players being more than 4 hours away...they do not go to team practices, but they make the tournaments. I find that odd, but whatever floats your boat.

Jun 12, 2015
It is odd. I wouldn't want to be on a team that was so far my daughter couldn't practice with them. There's so much more to being on a team than all showing up to play the same games.

Jul 6, 2013
For the most part, it's trophy chasers. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But they just want to build the strongest team they can. We all want that, but some are willing to sacrifice team integrity to get it. Never been a fan of the "show up for the tournaments" methodology.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Once the players get to a certain level, the value of a team practice decreases. On my daughter's past two teams, there have been only 3-5 practices per year. Those players who have frequently not attended practice because of distance have not missed out on the team bonding stuff because the team plays and spends so much time together anyway.

Not saying that's ideal, but once they get to second-year 14U or first-year 16U, and the commitment level to practice on their own is high, it can work.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
PS - These two teams have not been trophy-hunters, although I don't disagree that some are. The distance between players is caused by the desire to find like-mind players in terms of goals and work ethic. That in itself builds camaraderie.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A lot of the marquee teams in our area have players from a wide geographic area and some from multiple states. Therefore, most of the practices and activities are "optional" and players are asked to make them if they can. Some local tournaments are also option, while qualifiers and nationals are "all hands on deck".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TPop