Don’t Touch the Players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
I want to grab them by their belt loops and simulate what it feels like to violently rotate their hips and engage their lower half, but I ain’t doing that. Even repeatedly telling them that’s where all their power comes from (and the bottom turns the top) they look at me like I’m speaking Russian to them!

have them hit ball of tees holding bat behind their back with their elbows (ie bat passes through crook of one elbow, across back, through crook of another), have contest who can hit ball farthest like that. gets them rotating trunk via hips (feet have to remain planted)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I totally forgot about an incident that happened a few years ago. DD's team had an "older" hitting coach that joined the team. One day I noticed that he wasn't at a tourney then not at practice. I found out later that he was asked to leave after the HC saw something that made him feel very uncomfortable during an indoor hitting practice with the whole team there. My DD didn't know the specifics or who it happened to. Something about body positioning and touching of the player that the HC saw. HC didn't like it, and wouldn't allow it to happen again. Was he overly careful? Had this happened before? I have no idea. I still saw him around the fields working with another team, and I had good hitting mechanics conversations.

Apr 8, 2021
Fresno, CA
I totally forgot about an incident that happened a few years ago. DD's team had an "older" hitting coach that joined the team. One day I noticed that he wasn't at a tourney then not at practice. I found out later that he was asked to leave after the HC saw something that made him feel very uncomfortable during an indoor hitting practice with the whole team there. My DD didn't know the specifics or who it happened to. Something about body positioning and touching of the player that the HC saw. HC didn't like it, and wouldn't allow it to happen again. Was he overly careful? Had this happened before? I have no idea. I still saw him around the fields working with another team, and I had good hitting mechanics conversations.
Probably a good move on his part. If it was something inappropriate, it’s good that he acted on it and didn’t let it slide. If it was something that was borderline uncomfortable, still probably a good move, all it takes is one parent to perceive it in a negative manner. Last thing you want as a Head Coach is to have one of your assistants accused of being inappropriate and you not doing anything. That lands you in some hot water.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Probably a good move on his part. If it was something inappropriate, it’s good that he acted on it and didn’t let it slide. If it was something that was borderline uncomfortable, still probably a good move, all it takes is one parent to perceive it in a negative manner. Last thing you want as a Head Coach is to have one of your assistants accused of being inappropriate and you not doing anything. That lands you in some hot water.
The HC has a solid reputation, been around a long time and always did the right thing for his players. He also did not put up with any BS from anyone.

Mar 5, 2021
Last night I had the opportunity to take in the first game on a new high school field. Two of the top teams in the state paired against one another. Big crowd and perfect weather.

To get right to the point I was amazed at one of the coach’s behavior. Hands all over the players, chest bumping players, and more behavior you wouldn’t expect to see from a coach.

I say all of that to offer a suggestion to any of the coaches out there - don’t touch the players.
What State are you in? In Illinois we get a pass for 2 parents and can not attend away games.

Jan 27, 2021
So I have no experience trying to coach but I do scouting with kids. It’s impossible to never make physical contact with a kid in any way, but agreed that is should be as little as possible. About all I can see is minimize the risks. Fist bumps and high fives for celebrating. And never ever ever be in a 1 adult or even 1 household setting. My kids and parents know if I’m the only adult there then meeting or Campout is off. And if it’s co-Ed then I need a female adult OR every kids dad there.

edited to add if you all think positioning a kids hands and feet is bad you would absolutely die if you saw what was necessary to prep them for a ropes course

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12