Dolcini - Texas - Big ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2014
I should probably know this...

ESPN showed Dolcini with a big ball in her glove... maybe 14" ? What does it work on ? What's the effect ? Thanks.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My DD practiced with a 16 inch "mush ball" (game is still played in Chicago).

Look...if your DD is going to be a pitcher, she is going to practice a great deal. Just as a break from boredom, it is fun to play with different size balls. My DD threw baseballs, Wiffle balls, mush balls, footballs and, of course, regulation softballs.

May 27, 2013
It is great for learning and improving spins. The larger size helps pitchers feel how the ball comes off their fingers and lets them make adjustments more easily. I particularly like it for the rise and curve.

Yep. Dd has one to work on spins.

Jun 6, 2018
Yeah not seen very much in my area and my daughter got introduced to it at 12 by her pitching coach and still using it today. I can tell you it definitely provides better spin as she got spin measurements at 16 and was in the college spin rate levels. While she didn't throw the hardest she always outperformed travel and high school teammates and it was because she had the most movement (plus above average control).

I think spin doesn't get as much attention as it should as everyone wants to ask "how fast does she throw". Over the last few years I have seen a handful of high school girls throw upper 50's low 60's get pounded. When they ask what are they doing wrong I ask what is their spin rate and how often are they working on their spin and I just get blank stares.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478