Does the starting pitcher get the decision if she leaves after four complete innings with the lead, and the lead doesn't change?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
@bmakj IS that an official HS scoring rule? in MLB there is always a winning pitcher. If the starting pitcher does not go 5 but there was never a lead change, the official scorer decides which relief pitcher deserved the W.
I may have been mistaken, but I thought I could recall situations where there was not a W or L credited to any P in MLB. like if go ahead run was left on base by SP, but scored after SP taken out (no longer pitcher of record, but still responsible for the run).

Oct 4, 2018
After years and years of playing fantasy baseball, I know all about how to get credit for a Win or a Save.

And I agree that the head coach is an idiot. Starting Pitcher gets the W here.

Oct 4, 2018
I may have been mistaken, but I thought I could recall situations where there was not a W or L credited to any P in MLB. like if go ahead run was left on base by SP, but scored after SP taken out (no longer pitcher of record, but still responsible for the run).

No, a win is always given.

Sometimes it's to the middle reliever who just happened to make the last out of the inning or somesuch. But there's always a winning pitcher.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
NFCA defines a win as:
1. Credit the starting pitcher With a Win if she has pitched at least four total innings, is ahead when replaced, and if the team stays ahead for the rest of the game. 2. When a regulation game ends after five innings, the starting pitcher must pitch three innings and her team must win in order to be credited with the win.

The varsity coach is mistaken.

Thanks

May 31, 2023
In a 6 inning game when the starting pitcher pitches three innings and her team is trailing after 3rd inning. The pitchers team is visitors, and in the top of the 4th, her team takes the lead. The relief pitcher goes in the bottom of the 4th and pitches 3 innings and they never relinquish the lead. Who gets the win?

Jun 11, 2013
In a 6 inning game when the starting pitcher pitches three innings and her team is trailing after 3rd inning. The pitchers team is visitors, and in the top of the 4th, her team takes the lead. The relief pitcher goes in the bottom of the 4th and pitches 3 innings and they never relinquish the lead. Who gets the win?
The starter gets the win. Whomever pitched last is always the pitcher of record. (assuming they pitched long enough as the starter).

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Starter gets the win. Reliever gets a save (I am presuming that softball scorekeeping has the same three inning/finish the game rule for a save).

May 27, 2022
It really isn't that hard - in this case it is really clear in the NFHS rule book; the picture pitched at least half the innings, she left with the lead, and her team stayed ahead the entire game.

No question.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Here's what I have wondered about. Michigan has a 3 inning mercy rule if you are up by 15 or more.

Our local team used to pitch 3 pitchers 1 inning each if they were playing a cupcake team. They would give the win to the starting pitcher, but I always thought the second pitcher should get the win.

Traditionally, the starter had to go more than half the game to get the win. If they each went a third, then shouldn't the second pitcher get the win?

The coach is a moron who lucked into getting 2 division 1 pitchers and a division 3 pitcher all on the same staff in a tiny podunk town. He's pretty clueless on rules and stats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802