Do you attend your daughter's practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 10, 2021
My Daughter pitches as well- I once stepped away from a "high pressure" situation she was in (restroom break), as I just couldn't bear to watch.

She was facing the #4 batter, bases loaded, up by one run with two outs....championship game on the line (rec ball).

After the cheering settled I made my way back to the field to discover she had struck out the batter.....felt so ashamed that I missed it, thankfully my wife recorded it.

From that point on, I have taken a chill pill and just learned to have fun with it all and take it in.

Oct 4, 2018
Agreed..FP26 & Annasdad both nailed it as far as gametime goes. There have been many, many times with my twins running the battery where I just couldn't stand it and had to walk away or my wife would move her chair because of my muttering stuff (that honestly was not helpful), of course there were also many, many times were I was beaming with pride too. It was much more relaxing when they played CF or 3rd and I could breathe.

My DD's have been the battery several times in Travel and Middle School. I love it.

I have some cool photos of them (somewhere).

Oct 4, 2018
My Daughter pitches as well- I once stepped away from a "high pressure" situation she was in (restroom break), as I just couldn't bear to watch.

She was facing the #4 batter, bases loaded, up by one run with two outs....championship game on the line (rec ball).

After the cheering settled I made my way back to the field to discover she had struck out the batter.....felt so ashamed that I missed it, thankfully my wife recorded it.

From that point on, I have taken a chill pill and just learned to have fun with it all and take it in.

Yup. At some point all us pitcher parents just get over the anxiety. That may be in their first year, their second year (me), or their last year.

You just come to realize that they're having fun, doing their best, and will somedays lose. And regardless of the outcome, if they're working hard and doing their best absolutely no one will (legitimately) blame them for any loss.

SHAMELESS PARENT BRAG POST: My DD has been pulled from a game after a few innings to let another pitcher get reps. The other team comes back and is a hit away from winning, and they bring my DD back in for the save. I'm glad I don't stress those situations any more. It would age me quickly.

Apr 8, 2021
Fresno, CA
I must agree with this, let your kids fly on their own at least at practice, if not a game!! Its good for them to see you having other interests, and its fun to get their spin on how practice went.
When I coached, the girls loved the independence of sometimes not having parents there. Also, the kids with hovering parents almost always ended up quitting.
100% agree. When I played Travel Baseball my teammates with the hovering parents would either quit later on, or they were always stressed out, especially when they made mistakes. I don't see anything wrong with watching practice, I still watch my younger sister's travel ball practices when I can. For me its kind of a lost memories type of thing, sometimes I miss playing travel ball when I was younger so seeing my sister get better while having fun makes me smile and reminisce about the times I have playing. I genuinely enjoy the sports of Baseball and Softball, I love watching practices and games. But even I let my sister do her own thing at times, either I'll drop her off or I'll take my younger brother to the baseball field and get a workout while their practicing. I understand what overbearing parents did to some of my teammates back when I played so I try to manage that the best I can. I'd say I watch about 60% of her practices. The rest of times I'm either doing errands or working out with my brother.

Nov 17, 2020
Huntley, IL
I attend ever practice (Covid made it tough). The only way I can evaluate how her practice time outside the team should be spent is watching her practice with her team. Once I see her strengths and weaknesses, that drives what we do in practices outside the team. I have been known to shoot video of batting practice as well and send that data to her hitting coach for evaluation.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Has anyone seen the new Mighty Ducks series on Disney+?

First episode the mom goes on a rant about the kids with mom, dad, private coach and sports psychologist all at practice...

Not judging anyone’s parenting, I just know for me, she doesn’t need me as much as I think she does, and I laugh thinking about my own parents even considering the possibility of watching one of my practices.

Aug 25, 2019
Has anyone seen the new Mighty Ducks series on Disney+?

First episode the mom goes on a rant about the kids with mom, dad, private coach and sports psychologist all at practice...

Not judging anyone’s parenting, I just know for me, she doesn’t need me as much as I think she does, and I laugh thinking about my own parents even considering the possibility of watching one of my practices.
So true, way back in the day when I played Little League (the late 70's), my dad would drop me off and go to the bar. All I ever had was a glove, didn't need a helmet or bat since the league provided about 3 beat up bats and 4 banged up helmets, and never mind cleats, sneakers were just as good.............Yep, the old days were much better.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When I coached baseball, we had a parking lot beyond left field that was elevated. A majority of dads would meet there every practice. I didn't mind. For softball, parents seemed to be "walkers" who would walk up and down the access road. When I took over the program, I told them in a parent meeting that they could all watch practice any time that they wanted. I really didn't mind. I seemed to have a lot of intensity. I might be kind of hard to take if you watched me coach but there didn't seem to be too many problems due to parents watching.

For the most part, I was my dd's coach in HS and TB so I was always there. For her TB team, when she turned 16, I tried not to go to practices but there were times I was asked to come and volunteer to help. Personally, as a coach, I don't mind who watches practice. However, don't interfere with practice. I don't look at it like a parent has insecurities. I understand, having been there, that the time is short and it goes fast. As with my hitting instruction, I encourage parents to be there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802