Division III world series: Tufts vs. Tyler

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It is defending champion Tufts vs. No. 1-ranked Tyler of Texas for the D-III title today, a 3-game series.

My daughter has been looking at some local D-III schools in the mid-Atlantic, and it's educated me to what the top teams are. I've seen a couple of D-III games this year and think the teams like Tyler and Tufts would be average D-I teams. (Remember that there are 300 D-I teams, so average is 100-200, not 50.)

I think winning D-III is about talking a pretty good D-I pitcher into playing D-III. Tyler and Tufts have allowed 3 runs total in 6 games of the world series.

A chance for history | NCAA.com

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Some D III schools are very good, academicly.
Some of those schools give preference in admissions to really good athletes.
For example, my mother does some recruiting for Wellesley. When my mother finds a very smart girl who is a great athlete, suddenly the whole admissions process changes. The coaches can get girls who meet certain criteria automatic admission.

I would suspect Tufts does the same. Top notch school, D III ranking. Lots of girls would rather play for a great school in D III than a mediocre school in D I.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Like they say it is not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog. DD's team won it all in NJCAA this year and held their own against several SEC and ACC teams, two of which are headed to OKC. It took SC a full 10 innings to get the job done against them. I am sure that either Tufts or Tyler would do well against many D1 teams.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Hard to pull against a team called the Jumbos.

Tufts is actually undefeated, something like 47-0, but plays a pretty weak schedule, so wasn't ranked #1 despite winning the national title last year.

They have a senior pitcher named Allyson Fournier who has struck out 409 batters in 196 innings this year. She's allowed 3 earned runs. Her ERA is 0.11.

In the world series, she's pitched 3 straight shutouts, allowing 6 hits in 21 innings. She's struck out 29.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
DD is looking at UT Tyler. Coach Mike Reed is the real deal...he is very nice and friendly. Her HS coach emailed him about DD (before we even knew about UT Tyler)...DD mailed him a letter and a small care package for the season. He sent her an email thanking her and was looking forward to meeting her. Hopefully DD will try to reach out to him again once she has better idea of summer schedule. The ball is in her court (and I am refraining from telling her where to shoot that ball LOL). Anyone know if the game will be televised??

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Hard to pull against a team called the Jumbos.

Tufts is actually undefeated, something like 47-0, but plays a pretty weak schedule, so wasn't ranked #1 despite winning the national title last year.

They have a senior pitcher named Allyson Fournier who has struck out 409 batters in 196 innings this year. She's allowed 3 earned runs. Her ERA is 0.11.

In the world series, she's pitched 3 straight shutouts, allowing 6 hits in 21 innings. She's struck out 29.

Tufts has been ranked #1 all year and beat UTT 2-0 in first game today. Fournier is the reigning (2x time IIRC) D3 POY and the real deal IMO. I've seen her in pitch, train, and showcase gunned at 70 (65+ cruising speed). Rise, drop, off-speed drop, curve, change and control (409 Ks:18 walks). I think she'd hold her own with those that we've been seeing in this year's D1 tournament.