Diving into first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
The players on the Japanese Olympic team dive into first on close plays rather than running through it. I had always heard that running through was faster. I definitely think running through can make the play harder for F3. So I am curious about why the obviously different philosophy on what is clearly a very good team (maybe the best in the world)? Could it have to do with the turf leading to faster speeds for the dive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
The players on the Japanese Olympic team dive into first on close plays rather than running through it. I had always heard that running through was faster. I definitely think running through can make the play harder for F3. So I am curious about why the obviously different philosophy on what is clearly a very good team (maybe the best in the world)? Could it have to do with the turf leading to faster speeds for the dive?

Yeah..IMO only reason to slide into first if you are trying to avoid a tag..not sure why they do it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
WOOHOO STRATEGY IN ACTION !!!

Think 👉whatever it is they're doing is being highly micromanaged.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is me making up stuff.

Head 1st there has to be a much greater chance of injury. Maybe it is faster but normally why risk the chance of injury under normal circumstances. Grass probably reduces the risk to some extent but probly not enough that under normal circumstances it makes sense to go head first.

Curious what they do in their leaque play.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

Diving into 1B instead of running through is generally stupid, regardless of who is doing it.

Running will get you there faster every time. The ONLY reason to try it is to avoid a tag off a bad throw.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
I kind of agree with argument, why don't sprinters dive at the finish line.
In track and field your torso has to cross the finish line first. They do dive sometimes and it's perfectly legal. Just a risky move.

2016 Olympics a runner from the Bahamas dove to victory.

1627393512183.png

Jul 22, 2015
This one has been put to bed. Every study/experiment I've ever seen or heard of shows running through is faster. The Japanese are really big on showing how hard they are trying to hustle and I think that is where this comes from.

May 21, 2018
This one has been put to bed. Every study/experiment I've ever seen or heard of shows running through is faster. The Japanese are really big on showing how hard they are trying to hustle and I think that is where this comes from.
There have been a couple of more recent studies done that call this into question. I think some of the metrics sites did some articles on it questioning Sports Science demo. I wouldn't call it settled science, and I don't think the Japanese team would do anything without putting a lot of thought into it.

I still think it's not worth the risk of injury, but they didn't ask me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28