Ditched Mask - You Make The Call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
do they do the same BS rule for catchers removing their mask to catch foul-pops???

And THERE is the winner.

I didn’t want to speak too far out of line since I am not familiar with it, but that was my first thought. I didn’t see anything in the rules that were posted, but I may have missed it.

Jul 2, 2013
Missouri mandates a mask for pitchers and "strongly urges" them for corner infielders:

By Missouri Adoption the pitcher is required to wear a protective fielder’s mask while pitching. The softball advisory committee and the MSHSAA Board of Directors also strongly urge the first and third basemen to do the same.
a. A specific model or brand was not specified, but all face protection equipment must to be worn as intended by the manufacturer
b. The pitchers mask must vertically cover and extend from the forehead (frontal bone) to the chin (mental protuberance).
c. It will also horizontally cover and extend from temple (temporal bone) to temple.
d. It will provide adequate shielding so as to protect the wearer’s face from being struck by a regulation ball through any opening.
e. The facemask shall also meet all regulations set forth by NFHS Softball Rules 1-8-4 & 1-8-5
Note: Discarded defensive facemasks will be handled as outlined in Case Book 1.8.4 Situation A which may or may not result in an obstruction call and awarding of bases.

I've never seen the discarded facemask rule come into play but I'm not sure I've ever seen a fielder intentionally discard a mask.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee