Discouraging advice for new pitcher (13yo in 14u)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2016
What kind of comment was that from that PC. Find someone else. I don't think any age is too late, esp. if she is willing to work on it. DD changed to a new PC with a different way to do a certain pitch. It was tough for her, but she worked on it and finally got it. I also know of softball players (played D1) who didn't start playing softball in HS but played other sports instead. Call someone else.

May 1, 2018
A pitching coach turning away a client.....stupid. The answer should have been "sure I'll teach whoever will pay me."
Will it be hard to become a good travel pitcher, yep.
Could she pitch in HS? yep.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I want to add another angle to this discussion. As a pitching instructor my worst nightmare is a new student who is not an athlete and will not be able to make it as a pitcher. I have had several students like this, they come for lessons, I take their money and feel guilty. Would I ever tell them that they're wasting their time? No, but in at least one case I wondered if I was doing them a disservice.

Jul 5, 2016
I want to add another angle to this discussion. As a pitching instructor my worst nightmare is a new student who is not an athlete and will not be able to make it as a pitcher. I have had several students like this, they come for lessons, I take their money and feel guilty. Would I ever tell them that they're wasting their time? No, but in at least one case I wondered if I was doing them a disservice.

If they try for a year and aren't getting playing time, you hope they figure it out on their own. I suppose at some point, being honest with the parent is the best thing, especially if the parent is the driving force.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I spoke with the owner who said it’s too late for her to seriously jump into pitching as other girls at her level are already pitching FAST and developing/perfecting their 3rd pitch. It was also stated that her birthday puts her at a disadvantage coupled with being a grade lower (currently 7th grade) than 14u competitors. She said she’ll never pitch in travel so what’s the point of doing lessons for 1 season of rec?

It is difficult for me to understand the mindset of some coaches/instructors. In my opinion, it is not their job to help the player become the best in the world. After all, there is only one best in the world, right? It is their job to help the athlete become the best they can be. Whatever level that may be. Maybe it's pitching in a rec league. Maybe it's pitching in high school. Maybe it's a D1 scholarship. Whatever the end goal is doesn't matter, as long as the athlete enjoys what they are doing.

That said, I have no issue with a coach sharing some perspective. For example, stating that she will be at a disadvantage against athletes with more experience is justifiable, but probably already known.

I tend to compare coaches/instructors to teachers. Imagine if a child is struggling with math or some other subject and goes to their teacher for help. The teacher says, sorry, you just don't have what it takes. You may as well just give up. A reply like that is simply unacceptable. I feel the same way about the instructors reply to the OP. Unacceptable.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
It is difficult for me to understand the mindset of some coaches/instructors. In my opinion, it is not their job to help the player become the best in the world. After all, there is only one best in the world, right? It is their job to help the athlete become the best they can be. Whatever level that may be. Maybe it's pitching in a rec league. Maybe it's pitching in high school. Maybe it's a D1 scholarship. Whatever the end goal is doesn't matter, as long as the athlete enjoys what they are doing.

That said, I have no issue with a coach sharing some perspective. For example, stating that she will be at a disadvantage against athletes with more experience is justifiable, but probably already known.

I tend to compare coaches/instructors to teachers. Imagine if a child is struggling with math or some other subject and goes to their teacher for help. The teacher says, sorry, you just don't have what it takes. You may as well just give up. A reply like that is simply unacceptable. I feel the same way about the instructors reply to the OP. Unacceptable.

I really like this comparison.
"I tend to compare coaches/instructors to teachers. Imagine if a child is struggling with math or some other subject and goes to their teacher for help. The teacher says, sorry, you just don't have what it takes. You may as well just give up. A reply like that is simply unacceptable. I feel the same way about the instructors reply to the OP. Unacceptable."

Jul 5, 2016
If the girl wants to learn to pitch and the parents are in a supporting role, then by all means, full steam ahead.

What used to pain me was seeing girls desperate to please their parents when it was clear that they did not have and never would have the athletic ability they needed.

So, it a pitching instructor can help in the latter case, if possible, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2