Dipping glove shoulder and arm slot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes, but there are some things that all pitchers have to do in order to be successful, using IR is one, vs snap the wrist/HE.
Good to know what mechanics you see work. I understand what it means to know what i prefer and apply that myself in other areas of softball as well.

However I also know that there are nuances that might be slightly different and that is also important to apply!

Glad you have a reasonable understanding to applying principle!

Apr 17, 2019
It looks to me like the angle coming down the backside does skew a tiny amount. I wonder if she throws a little incidental curve in her drop/fastball.
*I'm not convinced this presents an issue though if she has good control.*
I think it's related to the stride across the powerline, less a flaw in the upper body. If you wanted to change it, I'd also start by encouraging a more direct stride and see what that does.
The shoulders stay pretty even through release, I'm not seeing the glove side dip you mention, though may be more evident from a side view. Her posture could maybe be a bit taller at release.

1672334150915.png

May 21, 2018
My DD was doing/still does something very similar. We've been working on driving straight out square and not opening too soon after getting some good advice from members on here. You can see from this pic she is already opening and her arm is swinging out away from her body which puts it on a path to travel over her head.

Edit: My DD was hitting her hip really hard so we had to fix the problem. You may not need to fix it at all.
1672342708352.png

Oct 26, 2019
My DD was doing/still does something very similar. We've been working on driving straight out square and not opening too soon after getting some good advice from members on here. You can see from this pic she is already opening and her arm is swinging out away from her body which puts it on a path to travel over her head.

Edit: My DD was hitting her hip really hard so we had to fix the problem. You may not need to fix it at all.
View attachment 27124
My dad had the same problem hitting her hip with the same fix you mentioned and hasn’t done it since. By chance is your DD pretty flexible? In my very small sample size hitting the hip seems to happen more with more flexible girls.

May 21, 2018
My dad had the same problem hitting her hip with the same fix you mentioned and hasn’t done it since. By chance is your DD pretty flexible? In my very small sample size hitting the hip seems to happen more with more flexible girls.
Yeah, at least in regards to the pitching motion. She gets into some positions that make you scratch your head. I told her that I want to be able to see the ball on the downswing, and then added "on the correct side of your body."

Oct 12, 2020

View attachment 27124
No, it's a problem. Her arm was hurting by the end of today's session.
She's definitely more flexible than I am, but not really for a girl.
Actually as jdint pointed out she is opening her shoulders too early. When the throwing arm is at 3:00 her shoulders should still be pretty much square to the plate, then as you come over the top the shoulders should turn open.
We focused on trying to address this today. I'll add another video of several pitches. I don't want to abuse your generosity but this gives a different angle.

Oct 12, 2020

Here is the end of today's session. You can see her arm smarting a bit from hitting her side. She seems to stay closed longer but could be the angle?

Also, does the powerline extend from the stride foot, push off foot, or the center of the body?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
She's still opening early. If you look at her glove arm you can see that at 3:00 it's much further out (closer to the plate) than her throwing arm, meaning that the shoulders have opened already. I don't know if this is related to hitting the hip.

One other thing that catches my attention is her use of the glove arm. She points it at the plate and that is possibly what causes the early opening. But more than that it never gets too far left of her center line. The glove arm is a counterbalance to the pitching arm, and while you don't want it swimming way out to the left if it doesn't move left enough the upper body will compensate with a slight tilt or arch to that side. And if the body tilts left that could bring the hip into the arm circle, or more appropriately the arm circle into the hip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802