DIII and Financial Aid - what's your experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
The whole recruiting process can vary greatly from division to division, conference to conference, and school to school.

Jan 31, 2015
We had this experience after an academic preread at one D3 school during the summer. Dd submitted all of her grades and test scores after junior year was completed and we received a letter with what her merit award would be.

In our experience, the coaches or an admissions liaison does keep in contact with the admissions office throughout the recruiting experience.

Ah that makes sense. So it was *early early* admissions. ;-)

Yes, Coach Kalman (MIT) did say that she had input into the admissions process with an 85% success rate the past couple of years which is very significant considering the MIT acceptance rate is 7%. That said, DD had other DI offers on the table and did not want to wait until March when she would find out about her deferred admissions decision.

Like most things, it's highly dependent upon the school and the student prospect.

May 27, 2013
Yep, I know the feeling. It was extremely difficult for dd to hold out for her top choice school after reading that letter.

Aug 11, 2016
We had this experience after an academic preread at one D3 school during the summer. Dd submitted all of her grades and test scores after junior year was completed and we received a letter with what her merit award would be.

In our experience, the coaches or an admissions liaison does keep in contact with the admissions office throughout the recruiting experience.

Same experience. A very early pre-read... then a call from the coach offering my DD a spot in the team contingent upon acceptance. She told my DD that she have had high rate of success as well, but that she didn’t think she would need to try to influence admissions for my DD after the pre-read. My DD attends a boarding school in NH, which is well-known to this college.

Coach kept close communication throughout. I think she knew very early in the process, but we didn’t find out until acceptance letters came out. After my DD accepted, she received a text from coach about 1 hour after congratulating her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 6, 2019
“When I go to the doctor, I don’t ask where they went to school”....or...”if you didn’t graduate from an elite school, I’m going to see another doctor”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do. I always check where the doctor went to school first.

Dec 6, 2019
My best suggestion is if your kid has a pretty good idea of what they want to major in, look at where recent grads of their possible schools in that major have obtained employment, also look at the starting salaries for the various majors from those schools, and percentage employed in their field within a year of graduation (you may or may not be able to find this on the school’s web site). This can give you a pretty good idea of the schools’ track records in the employment and grad school placement arena.

ETA: Certain majors prestige definitely matters, others not so much.

But the question was do all private DIII schools offer all American students half off their posted tuition/room/board rates?

Jan 31, 2015
But the question was do all private DIII schools offer all American students half off their posted tuition/room/board rates?

None of the many merit scholarships that my daughter received (public or private, DI or DIII) covered room & board; i.e. they only covered up to ~55% of tuition at best.

And as far as *American* students, let's just say that there are several public schools like in *The People's Republic of Maryland* university system that offers *in-state* tuition to illegal aliens (the proper legal term) as well as driver's licenses, whereas *out of state* American students pay *out of state* tuition rates (usually 3 times the in-state rate!), but that's a topic for a very different form. #OnlyInAmerica #YourTaxDollarsAtWork

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2019
Very interested in your experience with private schools adjusting price. You got one to do this? Please share more. Thanks!
Not my post originally but DS applied and was accepted to several private schools with all averaging about 50% merit based scholarships. The school he really wanted still came in over $6k above the others. He contacted them and said I want to come here but I can't unless I get the cost closer to BU. They gave an additional $5k Dean's grant or something. Still cost over $30k a year but bottom line. Ask!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802