DIII and Financial Aid - what's your experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
We always told our DD that is really the student who makes the experience worthwhile, no matter where you go to school, not the other way around.
(y)

My DD wants to be a doctor, and we tell her... “When I go to the doctor, I don’t ask where they went to school”....or...”if you didn’t graduate from an elite school, I’m going to see another doctor”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For some reason my 11 YO wants to be a pediatric oncologist..I cannot think of too many more depressing, but worthwhile, jobs. Not sure if I should encourage or discourage her 😳

May 27, 2013
Yep, when I married dh, he did have a good amount of student loans (but a very promising degree and career). We did just that Pattar - apartment, used cars, I worked nights and weekends so childcare was not needed, etc. Then once that was paid off I went to grad school. Just finished paying that off a few years ago!!

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My DD wants to be a doctor, and we tell her... “When I go to the doctor, I don’t ask where they went to school”....or...”if you didn’t graduate from an elite school, I’m going to see another doctor”...

As with engineering, law, accountancy, and many other things, medicine school graduates need to pass competency exams. If the education isn't good enough, they don't pass. The medical school graduate from Harvard ultimately goes by the same title as one from the University of _____.

Apr 20, 2015
I think its important to consider what your dd wants to study. For some careers a prestigious degree is extremely important. For others the job market is so active that just getting a degree is fine and sometimes even smaller less desirable schools may have special programs that connect them to grad schools. I went to podunk USA for undergraduate but they had a special connection to the medical school i wanted to go to so it was dirt cheap and a win win. My friend went to an insanely expensive d3 college to become an elementary teacher. That debt to gain ratio doesn't work for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
As with engineering, law, accountancy, and many other things, medicine school graduates need to pass competency exams. If the education isn't good enough, they don't pass. The medical school graduate from Harvard ultimately goes by the same title as one from the University of _____.
Even though there are engineering competency exams, the only engineers who really benefit from passing one post graduation are Civil Engineers and hence a good portion do not bother. They are not mandatory.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Along the lines of "top" universities & spending the money for the "name", I think it depends on your degree and what you plan to do with it when you graduate. Our son chose LSU (we live in Indiana) because he thought he wanted to go into petroleum engineering. He received significant scholarship money--all merit-based. After one year, he decided that wasn't the right path for him, and he wanted to change to political communications and go to law school when he graduated. Well, he thought LSU wouldn't be prestigious enough to get him into a t12 law school, so he applied and got into two Ivy schools thinking he was definitely transferring sophomore year. When neither of those school offered ANY money whatsoever, we convinced (told ;)) him that it made no sense to waste his scholarship at LSU. If he worked hard in undergrad and got a good LSAT score, it wouldn't matter that he went to a state school. He WAS NOT happy, but he accepted it, worked hard to graduate in three years with a 4.0, scored well on the LSAT, and was accepted into three T12 law schools. What do know... good old Mom and Dad were right!

A perfect example of what I wrote about earlier. LSU currently shows up at #153 on the USNews ranking. However, there is zero wrong with that school or any other like it. To me, it's got more of a "name" than many schools that notionally rank higher. I'm sure your son isn't the first or only successful grad. Congrats on holding the line.

Aug 11, 2016
Even though there are engineering competency exams, the only engineers who really benefit from passing one post graduation are Civil Engineers and hence a good portion do not bother. They are not mandatory.

Technically, engineers providing services directly to the public shall have an engineering license issued by the state they are working with or in.

The issue is that many of us that work for companies, do not need it, as we are not providing services directly to the public.

For those engineers that work designing and building structures and systems that will be used by the public, a license is required. In example, civil engineers designing bridges or building structures need to be licensed (at least the chief engineer signing off on the design and construction drawings). Mechanical engineers designing fire suppression systems also need to be licensed. Those designing elevators.... etc...

I’m actually a licensed engineer, although I don’t need it for my work, that would be the same test that someone from an elite university will need to pass, and the same license they will need to get from the state.

In any case, this is off-topic. I think that the point is well made. I couldn’t agree more with @Strike2.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I will add though that smaller, high academic institutions can provide a different experience. Less competition for classes you want, smaller class sizes, professor knows your name, greater research opportunities at the undergrad level which you’d typically see go to grad students at State U., etc.

Again, all depends on what you want, what you major in, and what you’re willing to sacrifice (financial, etc).

Jul 31, 2015
A perfect example of what I wrote about earlier. LSU currently shows up at #153 on the USNews ranking. However, there is zero wrong with that school or any other like it. To me, it's got more of a "name" than many schools that notionally rank higher. I'm sure your son isn't the first or only successful grad. Congrats on holding the line.

Reminds me of advice I once heard given by a CEO to a group of high school students:

"All else being equal, go to a college with a well-known sports team."

Nov 5, 2014
Warning Long and probably boring!

Food for thought about a well rounded education amongst highly motivated and intelligent peers. Also why starting salary may not be the best tool to analyze the value received from education.

As background 25 years ago I graduated from a very good not elite(Top 50) small liberal arts school. Upon graduation I was accepted into a program run by the Big 6 accounting firms combining a job and concurrent admission into an MBA program at Boston University.

At the time these firms had a fairly straight forward hiring system. They hired two 30 member classes of recent accounting undergrads from business schools annually. Periodically each of these hires were evaluated and either promoted to the next level or fired, this along with the attrition from class members leaving for other jobs created a pyramid like structure where 1 or 2 hires from each class of 30 would wind up becoming a partner at the firm.

The program I entered was created in response to data from these firms indicating a disproportionate number of the individuals eventually ascending to the partner level had a liberal arts background and skewed towards more prestigious schools. This information was confusing and confounded firm leadership. How was it possible that such a high number of partners had liberal arts backgrounds if they only recruited students from undergraduate business schools with accounting degrees not liberal arts degrees. They then had the bright idea that if these liberal arts students are performing so well as to make partner maybe we should try to recruit them.

The very long winded point being the benefits of high level liberal arts education may not always be recognized in starting salary. This in no way is intended to degrade pre-professional and STEM majors. On the contrary I would advocate for liberal arts majors getting a little more stem and stem majors to get a little more liberal arts.

Even more importantly my pet peeve proposal is to provide practical STEM education to younger students. I have ranted about this since my kids were young. We should replace ALL time spent teaching elementary school children cursive writing teaching them coding instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45