DIII and Financial Aid - what's your experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD applied to a few high end D3 schools, ex: U Chicago, baby Ivies, Swarthmore, Haverford and was offered 0 in the way of any kind of aid. We didn't qualify financially and that was the cutoff. She was offered 25K academic at a Patriot League school and possible athletic if she played enough. In our case we were told we simply made too much to get any academic money. DD was Valedictorian with a 4.6 GPA and a 35 ACT. Lucky for me DD chose to go to a Service Academy. Go Navy! Full ride, summer activities, cool job flying planes this summer and back to back reigning National Softball Champions. Don't discount the SAs.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
DD applied to a few high end D3 schools, ex: U Chicago, baby Ivies, Swarthmore, Haverford and was offered 0 in the way of any kind of aid. We didn't qualify financially and that was the cutoff. She was offered 25K academic at a Patriot League school and possible athletic if she played enough. In our case we were told we simply made too much to get any academic money. DD was Valedictorian with a 4.6 GPA and a 35 ACT. Lucky for me DD chose to go to a Service Academy. Go Navy! Full ride, summer activities, cool job flying planes this summer and back to back reigning National Softball Champions. Don't discount the SAs.
35 on the act. That’s pretty impressive.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

If your kid likes the idea of active duty military service after graduation, and can deal with the regimented college experience, then a Service Academy is a great choice. It is a terrible choice for someone primarily focused on playing a sport. I don't know how widely you looked beyond what you mentioned, but with that resume, regardless of how much you make, she would qualify for significant merit money at most schools. My DDs ACTs were very good, but not quite THAT good, and I'm paying nothing right now for them to attend a well regarded private D1. My FAFSA numbers are also pretty horrid. Had the ACTs been at 35, there would have been even more options.

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
My son had total ride plus stipend to Oklahoma. Total ride to Alabama. And a few other schools. Wasn't where he wanted to go. So, over 4 years I paid $100k + so he could go where he wanted. Payoff? As a college senior he has $20k in bank from his summer job- 4 weeks working from his NYC apartment last summer. Will get $12k hiring bonus when starts Wall St job he accepted.....and will make About $140k his first year out of school. No debt. By 5 yrs he should be bringing in 300k/yr. At that point, he wants out of NYC. Get transfer to Dallas or Houston.

The point is.......He could not get that education, connections, and job by going to Redneck State, or even University of Podunk. Sometimes , the school matters. I talked a finance major last fall from our big state university.... recent graduate.....working in orthotic foot support store........yeah...they dont get Wall St. jobs.

My nieces that went to local state school ....well, ones a high school english teacher. The other....who majored in psychology...4.0 gpa.....works at an escape room. Neither earns enough to get by on their own, they live together, and my brother helps both. Gotta love small local state schools......education bargain. Right?

I generally agree that going to a regional state college will yield lower-level income results. If you want to be a cop or teacher, by all means, go to one of those schools. You'll get your degree at minimal cost, and it will work out fine. Nothing wrong with that at all, despite your somewhat condescending tone.

However, a couple of the schools you mention (Oklahoma and Alabama) stack up pretty well nationally. No, I didn't go to either, and neither do my kids. They may not be the clearest path to that Wall Street job in NYC, but many very wealthy "rednecks" would rather open a vein than do that. $140K is impressive most places, but doesn't go nearly as far in NYC. What's even worse, you're in NYC. It's entertaining how you talk about him moving moving to Dallas or Houston (redneck capitols) as the goal after getting established.

There are many pathways to financial success. Many very good engineers, doctors, and business people come out of big "redneck" D1 sports schools...I personally know a few. There is intelligent life beyond NYC, and lots of money to be made by those capable. Best of luck to your kid.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
If your kid likes the idea of active duty military service after graduation, and can deal with the regimented college experience, then a Service Academy is a great choice. It is a terrible choice for someone primarily focused on playing a sport. I don't know how widely you looked beyond what you mentioned, but with that resume, regardless of how much you make, she would qualify for significant merit money at most schools. My DDs ACTs were very good, but not quite THAT good, and I'm paying nothing right now for them to attend a well regarded private D1. My FAFSA numbers are also pretty horrid. Had the ACTs been at 35, there would have been even more options.
You mean focused like you want to go pro? If you are like most kids you can play your sport at an SA and have a good time. Yes you are right that the service part of it is a big deal. DD wanted something bigger than herself and she is getting it with the opportunity to fly. It's definitely not for all but everything for some.

AS for the money, I'm still mystified by posts like yours with the academic money to parents making north of the FAFSA cutoff. I spoke directly to admissions and coaches and the answer was the same, you make too much. She was only looking at Chicago, some baby Ivies, a couple of Ivies where money was specifically ruled out by the schools.

Jun 8, 2016
My cousin went to the Naval Academy to play basketball. Lasted a year and transferred to Drexel lol.

Nov 18, 2013
Most of that article is horse$hit.

"Even though American colleges are expensive (the very top-tier US universities charge up to around $60,000 per year for fees and living costs), most also now offer “billions in discounts each year,” Lieber write"

60k is closer to just the tuition cost at many top private universities. And you can throw another 25k in living and travel expenses onto that. Further, in assessing overall college costs they're lumping dirt cheap
small regional state local schools together with bigger more prestigious universities. Not nearly same experience, or even education often.

but if you're willing to live at home, go to smaller State schools etc anybody can go to college cheap. My nieces lived at home, spent about 2500/yr for tuition and fees at small local state schools.

Faculty pay is part of it....but university housing, buildings, facilities are MUCH nicer than 35 yrs ago. Way nicer. Everything.

Yes, most people get a lot of discounts. Thats because they have low income. College graduate couples are in the top 10% of income earners usually........and you can forget qualifying for any discounts. While people from families making 60k/yr......get close to a free ride.

My son....snubbed the ivy league because they dont give any merit aid. Only need based. He didn't want to graduate undergrad owing $250k! Instead...he goes t9o a top school that gave him free tuition.......we still pay about $25k living expenses. More with travel. His tuition alone would be 56k/yr. All his friends at school ....dumb rich kids ..pay it. His roommate is from very wealthy Chinese politicians family.......,kid got $30k for his birthday present to shop, since family's in china.

My son had total ride plus stipend to Oklahoma. Total ride to Alabama. And a few other schools. Wasn't where he wanted to go. So, over 4 years I paid $100k + so he could go where he wanted. Payoff? As a college senior he has $20k in bank from his summer job- 4 weeks working from his NYC apartment last summer. Will get $12k hiring bonus when starts Wall St job he accepted.....and will make About $140k his first year out of school. No debt. By 5 yrs he should be bringing in 300k/yr. At that point, he wants out of NYC. Get transfer to Dallas or Houston.

The point is.......He could not get that education, connections, and job by going to Redneck State, or even University of Podunk. Sometimes , the school matters. I talked a finance major last fall from our big state university.... recent graduate.....working in orthotic foot support store........yeah...they dont get Wall St. jobs.

My nieces that went to local state school ....well, ones a high school english teacher. The other....who majored in psychology...4.0 gpa.....works at an escape room. Neither earns enough to get by on their own, they live together, and my brother helps both. Gotta love small local state schools......education bargain. Right?

(To be fair...personal initiative plays huge role. But low achievers will tend to go to local small schools, surrounding themselves with other low achievers. While high achievers.....do opposite. This is affected by middle schools and high schools
I generally agree that going to a regional state college will yield lower-level income results. If you want to be a cop or teacher, by all means, go to one of those schools. You'll get your degree at minimal cost, and it will work out fine. Nothing wrong with that at all, despite your somewhat condescending tone.

However, a couple of the schools you mention (Oklahoma and Alabama) stack up pretty well nationally. No, I didn't go to either, and neither do my kids. They may not be the clearest path to that Wall Street job in NYC, but many very wealthy "rednecks" would rather open a vein than do that. $140K is impressive most places, but doesn't go nearly as far in NYC. What's even worse, you're in NYC. It's entertaining how you talk about him moving moving to Dallas or Houston (redneck capitols) as the goal after getting established.

There are many pathways to financial success. Many very good engineers, doctors, and business people come out of big "redneck" D1 sports schools...I personally know a few. There is intelligent life beyond NYC, and lots of money to be made by those capable. Best of luck to your kid.

“Somewhat condescending” is a very generous way to put it. The rest of your response was far more restrained and diplomatic than what I was thinking! Well said.

Nov 18, 2013
You mean focused like you want to go pro? If you are like most kids you can play your sport at an SA and have a good time. Yes you are right that the service part of it is a big deal. DD wanted something bigger than herself and she is getting it with the opportunity to fly. It's definitely not for all but everything for some.

AS for the money, I'm still mystified by posts like yours with the academic money to parents making north of the FAFSA cutoff. I spoke directly to admissions and coaches and the answer was the same, you make too much. She was only looking at Chicago, some baby Ivies, a couple of Ivies where money was specifically ruled out by the schools.

Daughters academic money wasn’t tied to our income at all. I was also surprised by your comment. My understanding was that merit money was that it’s available to all students if they met certain criteria. From this most recent response my guess is the schools you talked to don’t offer academic money because their admission criteria means all of the kids have high grades and scores just to get in.

Jun 8, 2016
By and large the quality of instruction at the top tier Universities isn't much better. The professors that teach there, for the most part, are there for their research abilities. In the sciences and engineering at least what you do typically get at the top schools is more depth to the topics covered. You also are surrounded by high achievers which may be important depending on what type of personality your kid has.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

Yeah...definitely the ones who have their eye on the pros, but anyone who is more focused on playing their sport than getting an education and serving the nation. There are some who go to college and essentially major in their sport. There's a place for that, but I don't want to see it at a service academy.

Merit aid is just that, and a school / coach saying "you make too much" is nonsensical. To me, that means they were NOT talking about aid based only on academic achievement. We looked for schools with reasonably high selectivity, but not those where everyone has ACT scores north of 30. Initial written offers came long before FAFSA. Some schools want girls who want to be STEM majors, and will apparently work for the right candidate. Younger DD got an individual tour at a school that was patterned off what one might see for a highly regarded athletic prospect. One school brought her in for a series of faculty interviews that resulted in an additional offer by day's end. Nobody asked how much we made.

Even with two now at private universities, I get nothing "need based"...not even subsidized student loans. The aid from the schools they selected is substantial, and comes for several different reasons, but I've also become pretty good at picking off private scholarship money. Both DDs did well in HS, and are doing well in college STEM majors, which makes that a viable strategy.

In any event, your situation is obviously working out very well. I'm thoroughly familiar with your DD's prospective career path. All I can say is get used to not seeing her very much. The Navy seems to demand even more now than it did years ago.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28