DIII and Financial Aid - what's your experience?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Yeah...definitely the ones who have their eye on the pros, but anyone who is more focused on playing their sport than getting an education and serving the nation. There are some who go to college and essentially major in their sport. There's a place for that, but I don't want to see it at a service academy.

Merit aid is just that, and a school / coach saying "you make too much" is nonsensical. To me, that means they were NOT talking about aid based only on academic achievement. We looked for schools with reasonably high selectivity, but not those where everyone has ACT scores north of 30. Initial written offers came long before FAFSA. Some schools want girls who want to be STEM majors, and will apparently work for the right candidate. Younger DD got an individual tour at a school that was patterned off what one might see for a highly regarded athletic prospect. One school brought her in for a series of faculty interviews that resulted in an additional offer by day's end. Nobody asked how much we made.

Even with two now at private universities, I get nothing "need based"...not even subsidized student loans. The aid from the schools they selected is substantial, and comes for several different reasons, but I've also become pretty good at picking off private scholarship money. Both DDs did well in HS, and are doing well in college STEM majors, which makes that a viable strategy.

In any event, your situation is obviously working out very well. I'm thoroughly familiar with your DD's prospective career path. All I can say is get used to not seeing her very much. The Navy seems to demand even more now than it did years ago.
We Knew that going in. I'm from an AF family and know the life style. DD is carrying a 4.0 into her last semester at USNA in Honors Applied Mathematics. She will do just fine when she is done being a squid.

Aug 25, 2019
We Knew that going in. I'm from an AF family and know the life style. DD is carrying a 4.0 into her last semester at USNA in Honors Applied Mathematics. She will do just fine when she is done being a squid.
Congrats to you and your DD going to Annapolis, I wish my kids took that route.
Yeah...definitely the ones who have their eye on the pros, but anyone who is more focused on playing their sport than getting an education and serving the nation. There are some who go to college and essentially major in their sport. There's a place for that, but I don't want to see it at a service academy.

Merit aid is just that, and a school / coach saying "you make too much" is nonsensical. To me, that means they were NOT talking about aid based only on academic achievement. We looked for schools with reasonably high selectivity, but not those where everyone has ACT scores north of 30. Initial written offers came long before FAFSA. Some schools want girls who want to be STEM majors, and will apparently work for the right candidate. Younger DD got an individual tour at a school that was patterned off what one might see for a highly regarded athletic prospect. One school brought her in for a series of faculty interviews that resulted in an additional offer by day's end. Nobody asked how much we made.

Even with two now at private universities, I get nothing "need based"...not even subsidized student loans. The aid from the schools they selected is substantial, and comes for several different reasons, but I've also become pretty good at picking off private scholarship money. Both DDs did well in HS, and are doing well in college STEM majors, which makes that a viable strategy.

In any event, your situation is obviously working out very well. I'm thoroughly familiar with your DD's prospective career path. All I can say is get used to not seeing her very much. The Navy seems to demand even more now than it did years ago.
If anyone is planning on majoring in softball, well I just don't know what to say about that.......but here's what Delanie Gourley, who won back to back championships with the Florida Gators in 2014 and 2015 said.....

"The Yankees bat boy salary is more than my professional softball contract"

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Congrats to you and your DD going to Annapolis, I wish my kids took that route.

If anyone is planning on majoring in softball, well I just don't know what to say about that.......but here's what Delanie Gourley, who won back to back championships with the Florida Gators in 2014 and 2015 said.....

"The Yankees bat boy salary is more than my professional softball contract"

Yeah...the "professional" softball players make only slightly more than I did playing league slow-pitch. :ROFLMAO:

When I say "majoring in softball", I'm talking about a player whose primary focus is on their sport and intends to get on the career path to be a coach, particularly a college coach.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
$800 a month house!?!? For a college kid!?!? Buy a used trailer and pay lot rent. Sell it when she is done.
It's actually a 4 bedroom apt. The math comes out to $3200/mo. I am being robbed every month! On top of the rent we have to sign a 1 year lease. DD was home for 2 months Nov, Dec and she will most likely be home over the summer. We are on the look out for something that has better value.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
What's even worse, you're in NYC. It's entertaining how you talk about him moving moving to Dallas or Houston (redneck capitols) as the goal after getting established.
What a great goal!!!

I am here to defend my Texas folks. Some people embrace the moniker redneck, however I do not. I have lived in Texas all my life. Houston and Dallas are very modern and cosmopolitan cities. In fact, Houston is more culturally diverse than NYC. Dallas is the more glitzy version on Houston, and we like to say that people in Dallas think they are the L.A. of the south. If I were to go out to a bar in Houston and polled everyone in there under 35, I would say that 75% are not from Houston. There is a reason that people are migrating to Texas after college graduation and many Californians are moving here as well. JOBS, great schools, no state tax, awesome food, friendly people, freedom, year round golf, affordable housing, and the best softball teams! Houston is the 4th most populous city in the nation with a robust economy.

"In 2013, Houston was identified as the #1 U.S. city for job creation by the U.S. Bureau of Statistics after it was not only the first major city to regain all the jobs lost in the preceding economic downturn, but after the crash, more than two jobs were added for every one lost. Economist and vice president of research at the Greater Houston Partnership Patrick Jankowski attributed Houston's success to the ability of the region's real estate and energy industries to learn from historical mistakes. Furthermore, Jankowski stated that "more than 100 foreign-owned companies relocated, expanded or started new businesses in Houston" between 2008 and 2010, and this openness to external business boosted job creation during a period when domestic demand was problematically low.'

Yes there are cons. Take away the month of August and today's blizzard. Yes, there is 2 inches of snow on the streets and highways and I have no water pressure. I will take any advice on this problem. 16 degrees with a wind chill of 2. For most of you this is a light dusting.

Now to the redneck thing. Yes there are rednecks, but there are rednecks in every state. For the most part the "real rednecks" live on the outskirts of the cities. I am 50 years old and I purchased my very first pair of real boots 2 years ago. I don't even own a cowboy hat. When people first arrive in Houston, they are very surprised how green it is and are wondering where are all the tumbleweeds. You have to go to Midland/Odessa for that.

Anyway, there is an abundance of opportunity in Texas for those that want it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ra1449