Diffrent pitches 12u pitchers should know

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have a different approach. If I have a 12U pitcher with good, repeatable mechanics I will start to teach her about spinning the ball. I start by throwing her overhand curves and have her throw them back to me. I will then point out the spin on her fastball. We will then experiment with a palm up curve to see what kind of spin she generates and go from there. As much as everyone talks about pitchers with 6 pitches I have seen far too many 16U's who can't spin the ball and have no clue about the concept. I use marked balls in these workouts to make the spin more visible.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
This topic (you only need one pitch), like most things in fastpitch and baseball, is backwards, and frankly foolish if you give it one minute of thought.

Unless you have a blazing fastball much faster than everyone else, you need more than one pitch just to get people out. And most kids can't throw one of those pitches on a given day, so you need at least one more, again just to get people out.

And at different levels, certain grips (like baseball circle changeups before 14U) wont get people out.

I taught my son every grip at age 11, and he practiced throwing every grip every day, all the way through D1. Did he throw 10 grips in a given game? Of course not. Did his curve stop working one day, and his splitter worked? Of course. So on a given day you throw your two best pitches.

Plus, you never know which non-fastball grip will be your specialty unless you try them.

Further, it's valuable to know when to throw each pitch in a game, depending on the count, and the pitch before. It's much easier if you start early.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
It depends on the pitcher. I general, young pitchers learn to throw a ton of pitches and don't develop speed. So there should always be a focus on power and speed development. With all that said a 12U pitcher should have more than 2 pitches in my opinion. Add them one by one once they have a reasonable level of command with each pitch and the ability to mix in with her other pitches. You will hear people to tell you not to add another pitch until she has "mastered" a pitch. If you wait for a 12U pitcher to master a pitch you will never make any progress.

May 21, 2018
Watching this opening game of the WCWS they might need to start working on their bullet spin. 😳

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Funny, This seems to be an endless discussion. At the same time, it would appear that the very best pitchers have great command of 2-3 pitches.

There is so much in softball that is non-negotiable. Pitching is neat in the sense that it is very stylistic. So you get very differing opinions and thought processes.

I like pitching because it lends itself to be stylistic. There are some non-negotiables....but most pitchers have their own unique styles which I think is great. Pitch selection is part of that.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
young pitchers learn to throw a ton of pitches and don't develop speed.
I'm not saying this to pick on you or anyone else, but I hear this said all the time, and it makes no sense. I don't know a single player that said, you know I'm just not gonna throw this fastball very hard today. You don't develop speed by throwing 20 more pitches in a given day. You develop speed by learning new (good) techniques, and adding mass. You don't need thousands of reps to get faster.

And aren't you supposed to be throwing with the same motion/speed regardless of grip?

Jun 19, 2016
I'm not saying this to pick on you or anyone else, but I hear this said all the time, and it makes no sense. I don't know a single player that said, you know I'm just not gonna throw this fastball very hard today. You don't develop speed by throwing 20 more pitches in a given day. You develop speed by learning new (good) techniques, and adding mass. You don't need thousands of reps to get faster.

And aren't you supposed to be throwing with the same motion/speed regardless of grip?

I was saying they learn a bunch of pitches. I know parents and coaches that are trying to teach their kid to throw a riseball when they can't throw 50 mph.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I don't know a single player that said, you know I'm just not gonna throw this fastball very hard today.
I know a lot of pitchers who have been taught to throw strikes first, velocity is not a focus. I'm not saying they're throwing easy, but the intent to throw fast counts for a lot. This is an interesting read.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Ok, so my daughters competitive 12u coach is complaining saying that she should know way more pitches by now. She has a great fastball, change up, and ok drop. How many pitches should a 12u pitcher know?

Also he claims his other pitcher knows a curve BUT from what I can tell its just an inside fastball.

Does anyony have memes poking fun of coaches like this? Ive seen some before but i cant find any now

If a 12 Yro has a fast ball she can spot 75% of the time, she will go a long way. Add a off speed pitch, and she is a high school pitcher at 75% of the High School in the nation. No 12U pitcher has a rise ball. You can brag all you want, but 12 year old rise ball pitcher DO NOT exist!!

May 18, 2019
If a 12 Yro has a fast ball she can spot 75% of the time, she will go a long way. Add a off speed pitch, and she is a high school pitcher at 75% of the High School in the nation. No 12U pitcher has a rise ball. You can brag all you want, but 12 year old rise ball pitcher DO NOT exist!!

I don't at this juncture post videos of my 12Yo but she's sure struck a lot of kids out this year swinging below her nonexistent riseball (she plays up to 14u). Is it perfect, nope but it most definitely ends up well above where the hitters eyes think it's going. she throws it around 54/55 on a pocket radar.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802