Did she go?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
that single call pretty much summed up the officiating. It was a complete shambles.

Obstruction?

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-04%20at%2010.23.40%20AM_zpsaba6zue3.png

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Obstruction?

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-04%20at%2010.23.40%20AM_zpsaba6zue3.png

From what I've learned on here, NCAA has an "about to receive" clause in their obstruction rule. I'm curious to find out if that applies here:

9.4 Obstruction
9.4.1 Obstruction is the intentional or unintentional act of a defensive team
member that hinders or impedes a batter’s attempt to make contact with a pitched
ball or that hinders or impedes the progress of a runner who is legally running
bases, unless the fielder is in possession of the ball, in the act of fielding a batted
ball or about to receive a thrown ball.

Feb 3, 2011
As I've been following here, it's my understanding that the definition of "obstruction" is one of the major differences between NCAA and ASA rules.

As for that missed call on the swing last night, I thought that one should've been obvious to the PU, but at least she still retired her.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Fortunately that batter ended up striking out, but that was a HORRIBLE call and I am glad that it did not effect the outcome of the game.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
On the check swing.....

The pitch started toward the outside part of the plate, then broke even further outside. PU would be tracking the pitch and concentration would be on the location of the ball. The bat is not where the concentration is. He went for help when asked. If you noticed, the bases were loaded, which positions the 1st base umpire in between first and second base, not the greatest angle to see the check swing. If there were no runners on or a runner on first base only, he would have had the same look that the camera down the right field line had and would have no doubt called the swinging strike. I don't think any unbiased observer can make the call based solely on the live action look from center field. That is close to the same look the base umpire has based on where he was positioned.

As for the non-obstruction call...it was spot on. The ball and the runner arrived at nearly the same time. Remember that the runner has to be hindered in order for there to be an obstruction call. On this play, the runner was not hindered until contact with the fielder, she never deviated from her chosen path prior to that. When contact happened, the fielder had the ball. No obstruction.

The reason that "about to receive" was retained in NCAA rules is that the coaches want it that way....they have stated that if the play is that close, they don't want obstruction called. What is unspoken is the second part.....they don't want obstruction called "on their team". It's always obstruction if the other team does it......

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
On the check swing.....

The pitch started toward the outside part of the plate, then broke even further outside. PU would be tracking the pitch and concentration would be on the location of the ball. The bat is not where the concentration is.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I have never umpired NCAA Division I softball or been behind the plate for a pitcher throwing 70 MPH. Low 60s is probably the fastest I've called.

That being said, the number of times in the WCWS where a PU asked for help on a check swing to me borders on the absurd.

I am by no means Superman behind the plate - nor am I saying I am the best blue ever - but by positioning myself in the proper slot position taught to me and reinforced at every umpiring clinic I have attended, I have never had to ask my partner for help on a check swing.

I think the real issue is that too many umpires believe that "she didn't break her wrists, she didn't swing" crap. Funny how these same umpires can make the "she went" call on missed bunts while ostensibly tracking the same pitch at the same speed - but can't see the 3/4 swings so glaringly missed all week in OKC.

Sep 29, 2014
FULL DISCLAIMER: I have never umpired NCAA Division I softball or been behind the plate for a pitcher throwing 70 MPH. Low 60s is probably the fastest I've called.

That being said, the number of times in the WCWS where a PU asked for help on a check swing to me borders on the absurd.

I am by no means Superman behind the plate - nor am I saying I am the best blue ever - but by positioning myself in the proper slot position taught to me and reinforced at every umpiring clinic I have attended, I have never had to ask my partner for help on a check swing.

I think the real issue is that too many umpires believe that "she didn't break her wrists, she didn't swing" crap. Funny how these same umpires can make the "she went" call on missed bunts while ostensibly tracking the same pitch at the same speed - but can't see the 3/4 swings so glaringly missed all week in OKC.

My biggest issue with this is that with ALL the $$$ being made why can't they just put another umpire on the field. An umpire dedicated to 1B has at least a better chance of making the right call.

Sep 29, 2014
From what I've learned on here, NCAA has an "about to receive" clause in their obstruction rule. I'm curious to find out if that applies here:

9.4 Obstruction
9.4.1 Obstruction is the intentional or unintentional act of a defensive team
member that hinders or impedes a batter’s attempt to make contact with a pitched
ball or that hinders or impedes the progress of a runner who is legally running
bases, unless the fielder is in possession of the ball, in the act of fielding a batted
ball or about to receive a thrown ball.

Another difference between softball and baseball. In baseball this only happens ONCE the next time your leg gets eaten up by a metal cleat and you learn that it's probably not a good idea. Although I'll give you in the Playoffs when every run/game matters you might see it.