DH/Flex in Lineup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
That is a very fair point @Boosh Baby … let me know if I miss any.

DP = Designated Player — player who bats for the Flex
Flex = Not an abbreviation — player playing defense but not batting
P and F1 = Pitcher
C and F2 = Catcher
CR = Courtesy Runner
EP = Extra Player (limited codes)
EH = Extra Hitter (limited codes)

DH = Designated Hitter (baseball only)

TMIB = your friendly neighborhood umpire ;)

Nov 18, 2015
Thank you TMIB/YFNU - b/c I was also misinterpreting F1 as "Flex 1", and not the position #.

Not necessarily related to the DP/Flex, but "AP" is also used on the lineup cards for "Additional Player" when batting more than 9.

Back to DP/Flex - I initially thought these two previous posts conflicted with each other [my emphasis]:
Assuming the change is made at the plate meeting, then the umpire would be informed that the DP is now entering to play defense for the P and make the change to the lineup card at that time (making the DP now the P of record). If this change wasn't made at the plate meeting then you could only CR for the P and C listed on the lineup.

And no mater how it is handled, until the DP or the Flex actually pitch, they do not get a courtesy runner unless it is the top of the first inning.

Are the following statements accurate then?
a. If you substitute the DP for the P at the plate meeting, the DP now becomes the P of record, and can have a CR in the top of the 1st.

b. The plate meeting requirement is only needed when you're visitors, b/c once the game has started, reporting the substitution (DP-->P) before the DP comes to bat does not make her the P of record (and therefore is ineligible for a CR).

c. This strategy is most suitable when you have a solid starting 9, but may need to insert a weaker hitting sub later in the game.

May 27, 2022
Thank you TMIB/YFNU - b/c I was also misinterpreting F1 as "Flex 1", and not the position #.

Not necessarily related to the DP/Flex, but "AP" is also used on the lineup cards for "Additional Player" when batting more than 9.

Back to DP/Flex - I initially thought these two previous posts conflicted with each other [my emphasis]:

Are the following statements accurate then?
a. If you substitute the DP for the P at the plate meeting, the DP now becomes the P of record, and can have a CR in the top of the 1st.

b. The plate meeting requirement is only needed when you're visitors, b/c once the game has started, reporting the substitution (DP-->P) before the DP comes to bat does not make her the P of record (and therefore is ineligible for a CR).

c. This strategy is most suitable when you have a solid starting 9, but may need to insert a weaker hitting sub later in the game.

a. Yes

b. IMO - Yes (could get interesting if you tried to change the position after the plate meeting)

c. yes

Remember,
1. DP can play defense anywhere/anytime.
2. The Flex can only play offense if they are substituted in for the DP (which also says the DP is taken out of the lineup and can only re-enter once after that)

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
a. Yes

b. IMO - Yes (could get interesting if you tried to change the position after the plate meeting)

c. yes

Remember,
1. DP can play defense anywhere/anytime.
2. The Flex can only play offense if they are substituted in for the DP (which also says the DP is taken out of the lineup and can only re-enter once after that)

Slight but important clarification here:

DP can play defense, anywhere/anytime ( as long as the FLEX is still on the field OR has been replaced by the DP ).

Jul 22, 2015
Slight but important clarification here:

DP can play defense, anywhere/anytime ( as long as the FLEX is still on the field OR has been replaced by the DP ).
Not sure exactly what you meant, but the DP playing defense is unrelated to the FLEX in any way.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Not sure exactly what you meant, but the DP playing defense is unrelated to the FLEX in any way.

With all due respect ... The DP and the FLEX are 100% linked ... Dp can play defense for the FLEX at any time but the FLEX has left the game .... The DP can play defense for anyone else on the field as long as the FLEX is still on the field.

May 29, 2015
With all due respect ... The DP and the FLEX are 100% linked ... Dp can play defense for the FLEX at any time but the FLEX has left the game .... The DP can play defense for anyone else on the field as long as the FLEX is still on the field.

This is correct.

The DP occupies the batting spot of the flex.

If the flex is not on the field, it has to be because the DP took their spot on the field. If the DP took the flex's defensive position, the DP cannot be playing another position.

If the flex is on the field, the DP can play in another defensive position. (I don't like this, but it isn't up to me.)

Jul 22, 2015
The DP can play defense for the flex (the flex has left the game) or any of the other 8 players, which is to say anyone. I guess we're saying the same thing but I just don't see them being linked on defense in any way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad