DH/Flex in Lineup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
At the end of the coaches meeting, after lineups were approved, she would inform the umpire and other coach that the DP was going to pitch. (Flex is removed from the game) CR is now available for the DP who is now pitching.

While correct practically, that is technically incorrect. The CR is available for your pitcher (who happens to be the DP).

Jul 14, 2018
Sort of related to the OP.

Whenever I’ve used the DP/Flex I list the ‘DP’ on the lineup card as the player’s position. In the 10 spot, I list the position as ‘Flex.’ Considering free defensive substitutions, I never gave much thought to committing the Flex to a specific spot.

In the OP’s scenario, they probably list the DP as DP/F1, allowing for the courtesy runner and keeping the option to use a flex later in the game open.

So my question: is it required to commit the Flex to a defensive position on the lineup card? As soon as the Flex remains in the dugout defensively, she is officially subbed out, regardless of where she was listed on the lineup card. So aside from the courtesy runner issue, is it necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
Sort of related to the OP.

Whenever I’ve used the DP/Flex I list the ‘DP’ on the lineup card as the player’s position. In the 10 spot, I list the position as ‘Flex.’ Considering free defensive substitutions, I never gave much thought to committing the Flex to a specific spot.

In the OP’s scenario, they probably list the DP as DP/F1, allowing for the courtesy runner and keeping the option to use a flex later in the game open.

So my question: is it required to commit the Flex to a defensive position on the lineup card? As soon as the Flex remains in the dugout defensively, she is officially subbed out, regardless of where she was listed on the lineup card. So aside from the courtesy runner issue, is it necessary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FLEX is playing defense and you should be listing the field position that SHE will be playing and not listing the position next to the DP. Until you put the the DP in to play for the FLEX, or any other position on the field, she has no defensive position, she only bats.

May 27, 2022
While correct practically, that is technically incorrect. The CR is available for your pitcher (who happens to be the DP).

Agreed.

Question though: Can the DP be your pitcher just because you verbally insert her before the game starts?

IE, DP is claimed to be pitcher and bats - is the CR available to her?

Jul 22, 2015

She must have a defensive position initially or she isn't actually in the game. As you said, if the flex isn't playing defense then she is out of the game. If you list her in the lineup at a defensive position initially and sub her out at the plate meeting then you have the option to go back to 10 players later.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Agreed.

Question though: Can the DP be your pitcher just because you verbally insert her before the game starts?

IE, DP is claimed to be pitcher and bats - is the CR available to her?

This is the part I'm confused by. I thought the pitcher was either A) the player who most recently threw a pitch or B) the player listed on the lineup card as the pitcher if the team hasn't played defense yet.

I didn't think you could courtesy run for the DP (who would actually pitch in the bottom half of the inning, but wasn't listed as such) in the top half.

Jul 22, 2015
This is the part I'm confused by. I thought the pitcher was either A) the player who most recently threw a pitch or B) the player listed on the lineup card as the pitcher if the team hasn't played defense yet.

I didn't think you could courtesy run for the DP (who would actually pitch in the bottom half of the inning, but wasn't listed as such) in the top half.
Assuming the change is made at the plate meeting, then the umpire would be informed that the DP is now entering to play defense for the P and make the change to the lineup card at that time (making the DP now the P of record). If this change wasn't made at the plate meeting then you could only CR for the P and C listed on the lineup.

May 29, 2015
At risk of confusing this more … A few years back, baseball tried to simplify that strategy by saying you could list the same player as the DH and the defensive position in the initial lineup. This allowed you to separate them later without having to change things at the plate meeting.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
Our HS had a senior pitcher and 2 freshmen pitchers. The senior is a good hitter, but not always able to pitch 7 innings. The freshmen are not good hitters but can pitch if/when needed.

Our coach would make the line up card with the Senior as DP and the freshman as Flex (F1).

At the end of the coaches meeting, after lineups were approved, she would inform the umpire and other coach that the DP was going to pitch. (Flex is removed from the game) CR is now available for the DP who is now pitching.

When needed, the Freshman can re-enter to pitch (Flex) and the senior can continue to hit. (DP without CR available)
- When a flex is used, the roster can go from 10 to 9 to 10 players in this situation
Finally, some got it figured out. No wonder so many of you are confused. Obviously the umpires and the coaches don’t understand how to use the rule. Agcy and his team has it under control. And no mater how it is handled, until the DP or the Flex actually pitch, they do not get a courtesy runner unless it is the top of the first inning.
the DP/Flex is actually a great tool to use. But quit over thinking it.

Sep 6, 2012
I tried to read this thread to understand this rule and all the freaking swapping out of initials for positions loses me each time.
It's like reading lyrics from a rap song. P to the D to the izzo my shizzo.
Just once I'd like to come on here, read this rule with each player acryonym spelled out with the first letter capitalized in each sentence of the explanation with no abbreviation so that I don't have to stop mid-sentence and translate the next set of initials to keep reading. :unsure:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802