designating infield and outfield positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2020
As OP stated this is a travel team. Players coming out for TB are likely to have played a lot of IF in rec leagues previously, we shouldn't be talking about girls picking up a glove for the first time.

When it comes to crunch time absolutely have your ideal lineup out there, and it would be silly to not have at least a mental depth chart. But when talking about reps in practice it is very easy to unintentionally stigmatize certain positions (as we see with 2B above), and when girls only get to play those stigmatized positions it will sour them quickly.

If everyone is getting work at both IF and OF they will know the pecking order at each position without being told, and will know what they need to do to get more innings at their preferred positions. If the just get stuck with either IF or OF there may be grumbling about how they could do better at another position if just given a chance. Also, I'm not advocating for everyone to play everywhere, but certainly at this age dividing IF and OF in practice is likely to be seriously divisive.

Apr 26, 2019
I pretty much agree with all points presented. My older daughter was relegated to the outfield at second year 12u when we started travel. I worked hard with her away from practice and now she is a fairly solid middle infielder and primary starter for her travel team and school. Not every kid can get that help from their parents away from practice.

Some more info on the team, they are about 1/2 first year 12u and first travel team players. maybe 2-3 are second year 12u and about 3 are 10u eligible that we needed to fill roster spots to get off the ground. (2 teams folded and we had to start up this last Jan crazy story). We are very raw in the talent department. I don't want to pigeon hole players at this stage. I think with the feedback I'm seeing that it may be better to go with a primary position assigned by coaches and a secondary position of their choosing to work on. As heman1202 said, We can't teach them every position. We want them to hopefully develop drive to compete and work at home to earn the spot they want.

Why use the term "relegated"? Is it somehow shameful to be an outfielder? Do you think outfielders aren't an important part of the team?

Think about it again. Against some good 12U teams and just about every team playing against you at 14U and onward, if you don't have good a good outfield you will be run ruled p.d.q.

I just don't get some softball parents and the "My daughter plays x position. She is more important than players at other positions."

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If you want to develop players faster and also give them a chance to learn both infield and outfield. Split them up by which side of the field you play them on. Keep your 1st basemen and second in Rf, 3rd and ss in left. Center is for whoever you want.
This keep ball spin and flight similar so they learn to track it better.

Dec 11, 2010
This^^^^^^

I encourage you to keep working infield and outfield with as many kids as possible.

Feb 1, 2021
In general, its preferred to be versatile, but use your common sense. My opinion may be different then some because of my own experiences. Those that are capable of playing all positions are probably athletic kids that can play at a high level.

Kids like mine are good simply because they take thousands of reps year-round to improve. My DD plays at a very high level, but I would not consider her a naturally gifted athlete. When she played other sports as a kid and had to start back to softball in-season, it was frustrating some times. She needs as many reps as she can get at one or two positions to really start to come alive. I wouldn't care much for her learning outfield when its obvious thats not going to be her position. Put her at her spot and let her get her legs back under her.

Additionally, you don't need 5 years to learn a new position. For those capable kids, 4 to 8 weeks of practice reps make it a pretty easy transition. Some can do it easily just in pre-season practice. My advice would be to not over-think it.

May 29, 2019
Some more info on the team, they are about 1/2 first year 12u and first travel team players. maybe 2-3 are second year 12u and about 3 are 10u eligible that we needed to fill roster spots to get off the ground. (2 teams folded and we had to start up this last Jan crazy story). We are very raw in the talent department. I don't want to pigeon hole players at this stage. I think with the feedback I'm seeing that it may be better to go with a primary position assigned by coaches and a secondary position of their choosing to work on. As heman1202 said, We can't teach them every position. We want them to hopefully develop drive to compete and work at home to earn the spot they want.
This is still a very young and inexperienced group. At that age, I would be focusing hard on developing their overall athletic ability. I'd work everyone through the IF and OF drills; you'll still be able to tell who will end up starting in what positions. You can then do some "situational" practicing before a tourney. Their individual positions or perceived talent level at 10U-12U has absolutely zero bearing on their ability or where they will be playing at the older age groups. Trying to focus them on a specific position this young is an absolute disservice to the kids. If thinking long term, a true "Utility" is much more appealing to college coaches than an "OF" only when it comes to recruiting.

When DD played 2nd year 10U, the coach open said "I don't have time to develop players; I want to win right now." Needless to say, we got out of there when the season was over.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Everyplayer should be taught mechanical skills. Fly ball's and grounder work.
And give the chance to Enjoy taking reps to improve them.

As for learning other positions.
Its really learning angles and eventually learning our own timing with runners using said skills.

If players at practice
(even as a group)
are shifted from say
the left side of the field and then the right....
Angles and positioning will be learned while skill development continues.
Add
*Runners on adds to learning timing!!! Everyone needs this regardless of position!!!
Critical for the brain.

Lets then be honest
(maybe brutal here)
But players bodies & brains
(even without skills)
Already get noted right when a person steps on the field.
Its hard to not pigeon hole young players.
Still, realistically, there are some players who are pigeon holed kinda already when they step on the field. Hopefully in developmental early years, players will see things like
Yes your a very slow runner, outfield sucks for you, but the good thing is, you can be effective at 3rd if you can develop quick feet in short bursts. Can learn this by being given the opportunity to try both!

Apr 26, 2019
Everyplayer should be taught mechanical skills. Fly ball's and grounder work.
And give the chance to Enjoy taking reps to improve them.

As for learning other positions.
Its really learning angles and eventually learning our own timing with runners using said skills.

If players at practice
(even as a group)
are shifted from say
the left side of the field and then the right....
Angles and positioning will be learned while skill development continues.
Add
*Runners on adds to learning timing!!! Everyone needs this regardless of position!!!
Critical for the brain.

Lets then be honest
(maybe brutal here)
But players bodies & brains
(even without skills)
Already get noted right when a person steps on the field.
Its hard to not pigeon hole young players.
Still, realistically, there are some players who are pigeon holed kinda already when they step on the field. Hopefully in developmental early years, players will see things like
Yes your a very slow runner, outfield sucks for you, but the good thing is, you can be effective at 3rd if you can develop quick feet in short bursts. Can learn this by being given the opportunity to try both!

You make good points. Unfortunately, these points are moot if the team's coach doesn't know "you know what" from Shinola. That said, much of the good information here is void if the coach is like what I described.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279