DD's new team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
When this was happening for my dd, she was sitting on the dugout bench when one of the players, her catcher, came up to her and said, "I need a best friend. Would you be my best friend." They are still best friends. My dd was 10 then and then have been best friends ever since. Your dd will make great friends.

That almost made it dusty in here. How sweet.

We did accept the offer. I spent the morning on the USSSA.com web site looking up what teams these girls are coming from and it's a lot of the best teams in the area, and then my DD and her relatively unknown local club. :D

Oct 4, 2018
Nice. How did you choose the team she ended up on? Oh and you cannot tell a radar story without telling us what they clocked her at....j/k 😜

Our team disbanded, and like everyone here on DFP, we know the best teams in the area, the coaches to avoid, etc. etc. So my first call was to a really nice guy who has a top team. He and I met last year when he offered my DD a spot. We declined in order to stay with friends, but I hooked him up with our hitting instructor who he still uses a year later. So we see each other a lot, watch each other's girls play, etc. Kinda, almost friends.

He just concluded tryouts and is full. He would have loved to have had her. Again. Oh well.

So then I scramble to Georgia Coaches Corner, which is our website where tryouts and pickups and such are posted. Great resource.

We had been offered a spot on the older 12U team on our local club. That would have been an excellent solution. Better team, better competition (than the team that disbanded), would be P2, coach is a friend of mine, small commute. So that was always the backup plan and a good one.

But we were bored, and my DD actually loves tryouts. Doesn't get nervous at all. Crazy. So we see that one of the top clubs has one the next morning, and we had nothing to do. I asked if she'd like to go and she did, so we went.

They clocked her at 46-47. They said the fastball never left that range but the drop was faster, all of them at 47. I found that odd, and texted her pitching coach. She said, "oh, that's pretty normal". I replied "well you never told us that".

p.s. Still not sure that's normal.

Oct 4, 2018
Sounds real close to Anna’s journey going to a large, strong organization first year 14U. Coaches surrounding her and putting her under a microscope, she eat it up!

We were complete outsiders, didn’t know a single coach, parent, or player! It was a decision I made, it was tough for a week or so but the players just gravitated towards Anna.

It was a great decision to step out of our town (and our comfort zone) and take that leap of faith. Great organization, great coaches, and great parents, it worked out great!

Good luck to you and your DD both! Now you just need to get her a super nice glove to go with her new uniform! Oh wait..........never mind! ;)

Older daughter loving the Pro1000 -- done about 5 sessions of catch (throwing hard) and a few infield workouts with her sister.

Jun 8, 2016
Our team disbanded, and like everyone here, we know the best teams in the area, the coaches to avoid, etc. etc. So my first call was to a really nice guy who has a top team. He and I met last year and he offered my DD a spot. We declined to stay with friends, but I hooked him up with our hitting instructor who he still uses a year later. So we see each other a lot, watch each other's girls play, etc. Kinda, almost friends.

He just concluded tryouts and is full. He would have loved to have had her. Again. Oh well.

So then I scramble to Georgia Coaches Corner, which is our website where tryouts and pickups and such are posted. Great resource.

We had been offered a spot on the older 12U team on our local club. That would have been an excellent solution. Better team, better competition, would be P2, coach is a friend of mine, small commute. So that was always the backup plan and a good one.

But we were bored, and my DD actually loves tryouts. Doesn't get nervous at all. Crazy. So we see that one of the top clubs has one the next morning, and we had nothing to do. I asked if she'd like to go and she did, so we went.

They clocked her at 46-47. They said the fastball never left that range but the drop was faster, all of them at 47. I found that odd, and texted her pitching coach. She said, "oh, that's pretty normal". I replied "well you never told us that".

Oh ok..you made it sound like the tryouts were for an org which had multiple teams and she had multiple offers for those teams so my question was really how did you pick one.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Our team disbanded, and like everyone here on DFP, we know the best teams in the area, the coaches to avoid, etc. etc. So my first call was to a really nice guy who has a top team. He and I met last year when he offered my DD a spot. We declined in order to stay with friends, but I hooked him up with our hitting instructor who he still uses a year later. So we see each other a lot, watch each other's girls play, etc. Kinda, almost friends.

We had been offered a spot on the older 12U team on our local club. That would have been an excellent solution. Better team, better competition (than the team that disbanded), would be P2, coach is a friend of mine, small commute. So that was always the backup plan and a good one.

My dd stopped throwing the "Fastball" because her drop was faster and way more movement.

Oct 4, 2018
Oh ok..you made it sound like the tryouts were for an org which had multiple teams and she had multiple offers for those teams so my question was really how did you pick one.

Oh. Haha. What a waste of my breath. Sorry.

Yes, there were two different 2009 clubs in that Org at that tryout. She got offers from both. One coach said she'd be P1 or P2 based on what they saw, and bat in the heart of the order. The other said she'd be P3 and couldn't say where she'd bat.

Coach 1 also said she'd use her at the corners when she didn't pitch, as that's her need. Fortunately my DD's best two positions other than P are the corners.

The deciding factor...

Commute to Coach 1 practice is 35 minutes. Commute to Coach 2 practice is 60 minutes. Actually, it was a combination of the above. Everything just lined up for Coach 1 to be a much better fit. However, Coach 2 has the better team. But perhaps that's right for us as well. We're used to B- ball. This is going to be a big step up.

I turned down Coach 2 before the day was even over. When I know it's a "no" (or a "yes") I don't like to make them wait. Having very briefly been on their side, I know they want an answer so they can move on quickly.

Jun 8, 2016
Oh. Haha. What a waste of my breath. Sorry.

Yes, there were two different 2009 clubs in that Org at that tryout. She got offers from both. One coach said she'd be P1 or P2 based on what they saw, and bat in the heart of the order. The other said she'd be P3 and couldn't say where she'd bat.

Coach 1 also said she'd use her at the corners when she didn't pitch, as that's her need. Fortunately my DD's best two positions other than P are the corners.

The deciding factor...

Commute to Coach 1 practice is 35 minutes. Commute to Coach 2 practice is 60 minutes. Actually, it was a combination of the above. Everything just lined up for Coach 1 to be a much better fit. However, Coach 2 has the better team. But perhaps that's right for us as well. We're used to B- ball. This is going to be a big step up.

I turned down Coach 2 before the day was even over. When I know it's a "no" (or a "yes") I don't like to make them wait. Having very briefly been on their side, I know they want an answer so they can move on quickly.
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like she is in a good situation. Do the two teams play similar levels of competition?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom