DD playing in All County Senior game and her HS coach wants her to put on her uniform at the game location

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Personally, I think you're making a mountain out of a mole hill. I can't tell you the number of times my DD changed into a uniform in the car or in a bathroom when playing TB and subbing for a team which required her to wear their uniform. I'm sure that your DD did much of the same while subbing for such teams. It may be at a higher level but if the HS coach wants to make sure that the uniform is returned, for whatever reason, I don't see this as a big deal. Whether it's a power trip, whether the AD takes the money away from the HS softball budget if it goes missing which some do as mine does, etc. , it doesn't matter. You're just going to have to deal with it. HS SB uniforms, or any umiform for that matter, even if the team gets a discount, costs on an average of $150-200 per set of uniforms and only one uniform with one number is useless. When many HS SB budgetrs are a $1000 per year, taking that amount out of a budet can mean losing two to three dozen balls for HS season play or worse.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2019
Well, it is nice, I guess, that the coach is going to the game.

On DD's school team, while the school provides uniforms, everyone on the team bought their home and away jerseys with their names on their back. And the team wore white pants both home and away (to my DW's chagrin). DD had white pants she liked and blue socks, so basically DD didn't wear anything the school supplied, and it was all good.

May 27, 2013
Agree with others who said just change shirts at the field. Not that I’m condoning it but there has been several times if it was hot out that dd would switch jerseys (at showcases when guest-playing) or remove under armor right in the dugout. Most girls wear sports bras which covers more than a bikini top.

If uncomfortable, then agree - just change shirts in car or bathroom - or just wear a tank top to the field and put the jersey over that.

Sep 29, 2014
No biggie just make sure you go in some kind of playing pants and practice shirt with the school name on it and preferable a number although could always use tape as last resort...last thing you want is for coach to no show and you left with nothing. Changing in the bathroom is a pain but not that big a deal...just curious if you are just supposed to give it back after game without washing it...does just seem weird.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Is the uniform pants and socks, etc also. Our high school uniforms - they get 4 diff jerseys and we supply everything else. So we only return the jersey's at the end of the year. When DD pitched, she would have her heartguard under her jersey so it was NBD to just change shirts. We get pick ups for TB from time to time and give them a jersey at the field that they just use the bathroom to change into.
I could see it being kind of annoying if it's actually pants and everything else that she would need to change - otherwise just get it at the game?

Agree with others to wear a HS shirt just in case. DD gets practice shirts also for high school so she always has something to wear.

Oct 29, 2019
My kid has changed jersey's so many times at the ball field.

I've coached many teams where I was handing out jersey's right before a game and kids went to the bathroom to put it on.

I never knew I was being a jerk and no one has ever said anything.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
True, kids get changed at the field all the time , BUT ... Your DD has played for this coach for a couple years (I'm guessing)? If she says she doesn't want to get dressed at the field, trust her. (Red flag?) ... If she feels that strongly about it and the coach won't budge, screw the game, take her for ice cream instead.

Do HS uni's cost that much? Yes, and more.

At my HS, if the kids don't turn in their uni's, equipment (or books) they can't graduate or proceed to the next year until they do, or pay up.

I have mine turn them in laundered and you'd be surprised how many I've got to send back. Did the coach have a problem getting your DD to turn in her uni previously ?

Apr 20, 2015
Kids are so funny. Mine would probably walk around the ball park in her sliding shorts and sports bra like it’s the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee