Daughter Uninterested in other sports at HS level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Playing only one sport isn’t the doom and gloom people make it out to be.

According to our hs athletic director, it’s super healthy for athletes to be rushed from one poorly coached sport to another with overlapping open gyms and workouts 50 weeks per year. I trust him. He’s the professional educator and all.

Sep 3, 2015
Bummer to hear you have that opinion. I would agree that some decisions need to be over-ruled, and some need parental guidance, but something like our DD's path in their own sports activities should be their decision (IMO). It's their journey, not ours.

This is exactly right Eric, no better answer than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
this brings to mind a idea I had, want to see what y'all think about it. . . . varsity athletes should have PE waived if they are in season, or doing offseason voluntary but organized workouts.

to me, especially once you get to HS, PE is about making certain teens get some physical activity (few rec oppportunities in sports at that age, etc.). a varsity athlete is getting plenty of activity, and you also then make the coaches take some time each week to focus on taking care of your body, nutrition, etc.. give the athletes a study hall rather than PE.

DD will be a three sport athlete this year (frosh), something in every season, plus in two of those sports she competes and trains outside of HS. this kid is plenty active, PE time could be better spent studying, etc.

good or bad idea?
Great idea! My kid had to take online PE in the summer just to satisfy this requirement despite being a 3 sport athlete so stupid. Show choir and band kids should get their fine arts credit too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
this brings to mind a idea I had, want to see what y'all think about it. . . . varsity athletes should have PE waived if they are in season, or doing offseason voluntary but organized workouts.

to me, especially once you get to HS, PE is about making certain teens get some physical activity (few rec oppportunities in sports at that age, etc.). a varsity athlete is getting plenty of activity, and you also then make the coaches take some time each week to focus on taking care of your body, nutrition, etc.. give the athletes a study hall rather than PE.

DD will be a three sport athlete this year (frosh), something in every season, plus in two of those sports she competes and trains outside of HS. this kid is plenty active, PE time could be better spent studying, etc.

good or bad idea?

I could support something like this. Give the athletes mandatory study halls in place of PE on their class schedules. Due to the size of our district, there were times DD would leave school early to get on the bus for an away game and wouldn't get home until 11pm. She had to complete her homework and studying on the bus.

Sep 28, 2021
Bummer to hear you have that opinion. I would agree that some decisions need to be over-ruled, and some need parental guidance, but something like our DD's path in their own sports activities should be their decision (IMO). It's their journey, not ours.
She has a say, but I am also experienced enough to know that at that age she may regret it later. I know this because I did, in a very close situation when I was her age.

Sep 19, 2018
She has a say, but I am also experienced enough to know that at that age she may regret it later. I know this because I did, in a very close situation when I was her age.
She is a different person than you are or were. Even if you are correct, she has to learn things for herself. She will learn less if you make her do what you want instead of living with her own decisions. As long as the alternative is not sitting on her rear looking at tik toks (or something similar), she needs to be able to decide what she does.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I’ve still not seen one important piece of information. Why does she not want to play this year? I’m assuming (hoping) you’ve asked her.

It’s school basketball. What does taking one year off hurt? If she’s played since she was 5 I’m assuming she’s pretty good. Plenty of kids take a year off from a sport and come back to it. It doesn’t mean she’ll go cold turkey. As she could easily play with friends or do light practice on her own that gets ramped up next year if she wants to play again.

Depending on her level of softball…..being even just proficient at pitching takes a lot of time. Same with hitting. DD doesn’t play another sport for this reason. It’s also a reason I’ve seen pitchers quit the position because they do want to play multiple sports. Just not enough time in their lives to work on everything.

Feb 1, 2021
While I certainly don't know you or your DD, I think the other comments do have a point. You and her are not the same person with the same experiences. Just pass along your experience and let her make the decision. MAKING her play just seems a little draconian and for no real benefit.

Starting in HS, I stopped playing a sport pretty much every year until my senior year where I gave up all the remaining sports. My circumstances were probably different, but I never regretted it until many years later in college. At that point, I got back in shape and actually walked onto two college sports teams, soccer and cross country. I didn't get any $ for doing it that way, but my decision to not play in HS had no effect on my ability to change my mind later.

May 21, 2015
South
Our high school's athletes are scheduled in PE for the last period of the day. If you play one sport or 4 sports, your PE schedule does not change throughout the year. The only thing that changes is the coach responsible for the multisport athlete. For a 1 sport athlete, the coach usually allows study time (goof off) time during the sport's offseason.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm there's an influence to this...
Are you saying you learned about regret?

She's only 14 she can make a different decision next year if she needs to. What happened to live and learn?! Can you really teach your daughter this lesson you learned ?... asking because you learned your lesson through experiencing your decision.
just perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12