Daughter Uninterested in other sports at HS level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 28, 2021
So just some background, our Daughter has always played softball and basketball since 5th grade, even a short stint in track before covid shut them down. Softball is her biggest love. Now in the 9th grade she has told her mom and I that she does not want to play basketball this year. Kind of shocked, we tell her she needs to play to offset softball and work some muscles to stay in shape. She is determined to not play. We think it would be good for her and she would regret quitting. That being said, should we continue pushing? Or let her stay softball all year around playing some fill in things as a pitcher over the winter until travel ball starts in the spring. Just curious if anyone else ran into this and how it worked out? She is on track to play in college at a good level if she continues to progress like she has the last three years. Just a concerned parent that does not want the daughter to miss out on anything......She is also a good basketball player but has progressed in softball faster.

Oct 4, 2018
Might be easier said than done, but I'd let her decide.

... and like many things in life, the more you pester, the more unlikely it is to happen.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Find something else to keep her in shape. Cross training, weight lifting, surfing, running, etc. Or ask the Coach to talk to her. But if she really doesn't want to play just substitute another activity. Not tik toc

Jan 6, 2018
DD quit volleyball to focus on softball...she does theater now to fill the time and of course the softball "off-season" of strength training.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Now in the 9th grade she has told her mom and I that she does not want to play basketball this year. Kind of shocked, we tell her she needs to play to offset softball and work some muscles to stay in shape. She is determined to not play. We think it would be good for her and she would regret quitting.

When will her opinion matter?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
If she's a good softball player, maybe she should focus on that. I know ball players who also played basketball and track in HS, and they NEVER got a break. I can name at least two not even old enough to legally drink a beer who already show signs of having some significant physical issues that will affect them later in life. Breaks for athletes are important. Some running and weights in the off-season will do what's required to stay in shape.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When DD was younger she played soccer, basketball, and softball. Her favorite sport tended to change with the seasons. When she joined a travel ball team, it became to be too much. Soccer was her least favorite, so that is what got cut.

She continued playing basketball and softball through 9th grade. At that point she realized how difficult playing those two sports at the same time can be. During the summer while she was involved in softball tournaments, her high school basketball coach wanted her to participate in "open gyms". These amounted to scrimmages with other local schools. Good practice for the team, but difficult to manage with a full travel ball schedule. Then in the middle of basketball season, her high school softball coach started "open gyms" for softball. The basketball team made it to district playoffs, so she was restricted from softball practice until they played their final game. As a pitcher, she just didn't feel she had enough time to prepare completely for the upcoming softball season. She mentioned to us after the 9th grade season that she wanted to give up basketball for that reason. We asked her to wait until the end of the summer to think about it. She did, but her answer was the same. In 9th grade she lettered in both sports, but she never set foot on the basketball court again. I often wonder what would have happened if she would have stuck with it, but I'm confident it was the right decision for her. That said, it doesn't necessarily make it the right decision for your DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802