Dad in training, Daughter learning to pitch,

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 1, 2019
I’m looking for feedback about pitching. My DD started pitching in April and is currently pitching 12u C level. There has been a bit of controversy about what finish is best, due to different opinions. I guess along this path we need to keep an open mind, but I also would like to start out right. I welcome any feedback on why one style is better then the other.
Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Welcome to the Thunderdome.

There is a pitching forum here. Go there and look for the pinned posts. There are several very informative posts on IR internal rotation which is the technique 95% of successful pitchers use, even if they don’t realize it themselves. Lots of good info there.

Then read up on drive mechanics and brush interference.

Dec 1, 2019
Welcome to the Thunderdome.

There is a pitching forum here. Go there and look for the pinned posts. There are several very informative posts on IR internal rotation which is the technique 95% of successful pitchers use, even if they don’t realize it themselves. Lots of good info there.

Then read up on drive mechanics and brush interference.

Thank you for the information.

Jul 22, 2015
I’m looking for feedback about pitching. My DD started pitching in April and is currently pitching 12u C level. There has been a bit of controversy about what finish is best, due to different opinions. I guess along this path we need to keep an open mind, but I also would like to start out right. I welcome any feedback on why one style is better then the other.
Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas

If you study the best pitchers there is really very little controversy about what top level mechanics look like. There are variances but for the most part they are minor. Study the pitching forum closely and you will learn so much.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
In addition what is noted above, I would highly recommend the Bill Hillhouse DVDs, especially if you are just getting started. Bill is a DFP member (Hillhouse is his member name) and he probably can hook you up with them if you can't track them down through his website. Another great resource is Rick Pauly (paulygirlfastpitch.com). These resources, along with the Stickies in the pitching forum on DFP, are all you will ever need to ensure your DD is on the right track. Many folks on this forum have been through it (or are still going through it) and are ready to help.

I would urge you not to waste your or your DD's time randomly trolling youtube (been there, done that) or listening to other dads or coaches who most likely have no idea what they are talking about when they talk pitching mechanics. They almost certainly mean well, but these "helpful tips" can have your DD learning and practicing, at best, useless stuff and, at worst, things that totally jack up her mechanics and have to be unlearned. The proof will be in the pudding. If your DD is working on the right things and putting in the additional work it takes to become a good pitcher, then she should steadily and obviously be getting better. It is a process that cannot be short-changed, so pack your patience and have fun. You'll need to...For this way lies madness.🤣

May 9, 2019
I'd give you advice but I'm one of the dads Traps71 warned you about in the post above lol.

In all seriousness, just try to keep things simple. Work on one thing at a time, and most of all, have fun!

Bill Hillhouse is a great resource. Again, don't complicate things, and just focus on the "absolutes" that Hillhouse references in his video. That really helped me get some clarity when I first taught my daughter.

Dec 1, 2019
I'd give you advice but I'm one of the dads Traps71 warned you about in the post above lol.

In all seriousness, just try to keep things simple. Work on one thing at a time, and most of all, have fun!

Bill Hillhouse is a great resource. Again, don't complicate things, and just focus on the "absolutes" that Hillhouse references in his video. That really helped me get some clarity when I first taught my daughter.
Thanks you for the feedback

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802