Dad glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 15, 2021
What's the best glove for the money for a fastpitch dad who is struggling with the old pancake from the barn? Duties include bucket catching and helping out at practice and warmups for 11U...

May 16, 2016
What's the best glove for the money for a fastpitch dad who is struggling with the old pancake from the barn? Duties include bucket catching and helping out at practice and warmups for 11U...
Rawlings Liberty Advanced catchers mitt. Rawlings softball gloves come in two hand stall sizes... the Standard fit my hand better than any other softball mitt I tried on. I don't like white gloves, so I ordered a custom 34". Very happy with this mitt.

1629380030957.png

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Get an already broken in catchers mitt or 1B glove. Depending on your hand size, you might do better looking for a baseball glove.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
If I had to redo it…..I’d have gone with a quality 1B mitt and been done with it. That way you’re not keeping track/lugging around two gloves.

But, I do have two gloves that I really like now. So maybe it wasn’t so bad I didn’t go the 1B glove route.

Jan 6, 2018
Rawlings 1st base (baseball) glove worked for me up to the low to mid 50s (with a padded glove inside or glove mate as well) but when the DD started hitting 56 and up I moved to the Liberty Advanced Fastpitch catchers mitt because it seemed to be the consensus for big hands. My left hand thanks me about as often as my shins thank me for buying shin guards!

Oct 5, 2018
Get yourself a nice 12.75/13 HoH or a2000 H web baseball glove for now. My a2000 1799 worked great for me for same duties.

Unless DD is hitting high 50s or you struggle catching in the pocket you don't need a catcher's mitt yet. When that happens in a few years grab a nice mitt.

Oct 4, 2018
If money is no object, a custom rawlings hoh dct 1st base trapper glove.

I went all the routes.

Started with a used glove. Nice, cheap, worked fine. But DD kept getting better at pitching and I was getting stingers.

Used a few regular fielders gloves while coaching. Those were fine.

Now?

I took the plunge, got a beautiful custom Rawlings Heart of the Hide catchers glove. It's all I use. I don't see a need for a fielders glove at all. Catchers glove is just fine for my other duties outside of bucket sitting.

Aug 15, 2021
Great responses all, please continue providing thoughts! I am not averse to buy once, cry once... as long as "once" more or less holds. I am not in mandatory catcher's mitt territory, and won't know if the pitching thing is really going to stick for some time yet. However, looking at the used market for quality mitts it seems quite a bit of the value can be recouped if I back out. I think I'm going to trawl around for a catcher's mitt, broken in or finding a deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802