D1 Travel Squad Size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
My dds team has 32 girls right now. Some of them havent traveled for fall games or even dressed for home games. I don't get bringing that many in, but thats not the topic if this post :)

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

That’s pretty rough to not dress even for home games. I hope those players knew there was a chance of that happening otherwise that sounds ripe for transfer portal fodder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Large roster sizes creates internal competition and will weed out the players who realize this is not for them. You will see certain coaches that over recruit year in year out that results in transfers. Lots of players that are on the fall roster will not show up in the spring. I've been following this for the past 8 years, it's like clock work. Kids that get red shirted will either work harder or will quit. This is the dirty side that no one talks about and does not believe it will happen to them. Conduct your due diligence and be realistic.

Aug 7, 2018
That’s pretty rough to not dress even for home games. I hope those players knew there was a chance of that happening otherwise that sounds ripe for transfer portal fodder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah its rough. My daughter started last year but this coach isnt the one who recruited her and now its pretty clear she wont ever play for him. So many lies have been told. Its pretty sad when she says well i guess i should be happy I dressed. I said plenty of teams would love her but she doesnt want to transfer. And i doubt very much these players were told of this.

Aug 7, 2018
Large roster sizes creates internal competition and will weed out the players who realize this is not for them. You will see certain coaches that over recruit year in year out that results in transfers. Lots of players that are on the fall roster will not show up in the spring. I've been following this for the past 8 years, it's like clock work. Kids that get red shirted will either work harder or will quit. This is the dirty side that no one talks about and does not believe it will happen to them. Conduct your due diligence and be realistic.
I agree but I hate the idea of lying to kids. Last year my DD was told she was fantastic and started and this year is told her defense is not good enough. Which is not true she's great and so far in the couple of innings she played made the catch of the fall while other girls are watching balls bounce in front of them. Its just really sad to me bc shes a great kid and teammate and she's just devastated. Like be honest and say I just plan to play this other girl no matter what you do. She's killing herself trying to get on the field.

Aug 7, 2018
Oh and he didnt recruit her, so we had no way to do due diligence. Coach who recruited her did not have a track record for doing this but he got fired the summer before she got there so we hoped for the best.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Oh and he didnt recruit her, so we had no way to do due diligence. Coach who recruited her did not have a track record for doing this but he got fired the summer before she got there so we hoped for the best.

That's okay. DD's coach that recruited her called her 6 days after she committed to tell her that he's going to be the Asst coach at Kansas. There have been 4 HC's in the past 6 years. 1st coach told her he liked to keep the roster capped at 20. 6 years later there are 31. Some things are just out of your control. Just make sure she is not on the bottom rung of the talent ladder. Same goes for TB.
ETA: I just read your other posts. Yeah that sucks in every way. On DD's team, previous year's starters are no longer starters. I do have empathy for them and the family.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802