Cruising speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2013
Average P5 cruising speeds are anywhere from 61-66. Occasionally you’ll see girls in the upper 50’s or upper 60’s. Despite what we see on ESPN cruising at 70+ is extremely rare. Paige Lowary is the only one I saw consistently throw 70+.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
Had a dad on our HS team with an app that you tap a button on the release and tap the button again once hits catchers mitt and it calculates mph based off the distance. App said girl was throwing 70+ and damn if he wasn't convinced of it. Last i heard "she had a lot of interest" and they are still waiting on a phone call. shes a super sweet girl though and is just happy to be part of the team, dad on the other hand.

I have that (free) app. My DD is 12U and already in the National Softball Hall of Fame:

1663253181989.png

Nov 18, 2013
Not a pitcher parent but my real world example is a kiddo who looks the look tall and lanky. Top travel team. #1 pitcher on her nationally ranked high school team. Cruising speed 62-64. She doesn’t break 65 and is struggling to get looks from p5 schools. She has lots of other D1 interest and some from lower/building p5 programs. 65 seems to the magic number for significant highest level interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If she’s really cruising at 62-64 in HS it’s not her speed keeping her from P5 looks. That would eliminate half the young women already at P5 schools.

Aug 5, 2022
I guess I should clarify looks from high level p5. Plenty of interest from teams in the bottom half of the big 10/acc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Thr better question is what is the RPM's and speed of power 5 pitchers. You can throw 70 and if there's now movement power 5 hitters will tee off on you.

I watched some of the Athletes Unlimted games and most of the pitchers were between 62-66 but they all had movement.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Thr better question is what is the RPM's and speed of power 5 pitchers. You can throw 70 and if there's now movement power 5 hitters will tee off on you.

I watched some of the Athletes Unlimted games and most of the pitchers were between 62-66 but they all had movement.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
How much movement does Fouts have? Honest question as I have a hard noticing movement in softball since it is so much less than what you see in baseball…

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
How much movement does Fouts have? Honest question as I have a hard noticing movement in softball since it is so much less than what you see in baseball…
I think Fouts has less movement than some but considerably more speed. She's one I believe cruises above 70. Of course, she's about 10' away from the plate on release with her gigantic stride, so the ball doesn't have time to break.

Apr 12, 2015
Once you hit the best-of-the-best level of velocity, movement isn't as important. A ball thrown at 70mph with 2 inches of break will be exponentially harder to hit than a ball thrown at 60mph with 4 inches of break.

At those elite, upper 1% levels of the game, reaction time for the batter (or lack thereof) trumps everything.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Once you hit the best-of-the-best level of velocity, movement isn't as important. A ball thrown at 70mph with 2 inches of break will be exponentially harder to hit than a ball thrown at 60mph with 4 inches of break.

A those elite, upper 1% levels of the game, reaction time for the batter (or lack thereof) trumps everything.
Yeah well the guy I responded to said 70 without good movement was BP for P5 teams……🤷🏽‍♂️

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802