Cruising speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I still doubt I’ve seen anything over 66, and I saw all the top dogs in 18u this summer. I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As in you don’t believe the radar guns or you have never seen a reading over 66? If it is the former, what is your frame of reference? Do you turn into a pumpkin if you see a pitch over 66?

Sep 3, 2015
As in you don’t believe the radar guns or you have never seen a reading over 66? If it is the former, what is your frame of reference? Do you turn into a pumpkin if you see a pitch over 66?

I don’t own a pocket radar, and haven’t paid much attention to people with them. My thinking is, if most of the pitchers are about the same (62-65), and there are a lot of those, then anything faster would jump out. Maybe my thinking is flawed, maybe I would turn into a pumpkin. Hasn’t happened yet though.

TB is over for me, soon I’ll tell you how the college pitchers aren’t throwing that hard either.

Jul 14, 2018
There are pitchers that play D3 who throw 65 mph.
Just saying that 5% maybe larger than the numbers you looked at

The OP specifically asked about P5.

I also do not think that the only goal for P5 is to find pitchers who throw High velocity. There are plenty of pitchers in D1 who don't throw faster than 64 mph but have tremendous Spin and accuracy.
Simply don't think High Velocity is the only thing top D1's look for.
Specifically because speed alone is not enough.

Good point

Aug 9, 2021
I don’t own a pocket radar, and haven’t paid much attention to people with them. My thinking is, if most of the pitchers are about the same (62-65), and there are a lot of those, then anything faster would jump out. Maybe my thinking is flawed, maybe I would turn into a pumpkin. Hasn’t happened yet though.

TB is over for me, soon I’ll tell you how the college pitchers aren’t throwing that hard either.
We played in a tournament recently (California for those wanting to know). Probably 20+ college coaches there watching. I sat with multiple college coaches and discussed pitching and the college game in general. One took their gun out and clocked 2 different 2023 pitchers because one of them stood out as "throwing harder."

Result?...60 to 64 top speeds. Our team rocked both of them at the plate BTW.

I'm not buying the "average is over 62 or 64 MPH" either. Just don't see it (confirmation bias).

I know of NAIA school commits throwing 62+ and D1 girls who are lucky to hit 58.

So many variables to decide where a kid goes to school.

The confidence of some people to say, the "average" is X is comical IMHO. Even worse for those that say you have to throw Y to be even considered by a D1 school. Data is data and the numbers are all over the map, and don't support the casual statements being tossed around.

Sorry for the rant. LOL!

Jun 8, 2016
The confidence of some people to say, the "average" is X is comical IMHO.

Data is data and the numbers are all over the map, and don't support the casual statements being tossed around.
Ok so give us a "non-comical" answer to the question posed in the OP since you seem to have a handle on the "data"?
The numbers being "all over the map" doesn't mean there isn't an average..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Result?...60 to 64 top speeds. Our team rocked both of them at the plate BTW.
Yes rocked both because those speeds are like hitting machines!
Completely hittable in travel ball!
Not overpowering batters who are developed.

Thank you for referencing that!

Aug 9, 2021
Ok so give us a "non-comical" answer to the question posed in the OP since you seem to have a handle on the "data"?
The numbers being "all over the map" doesn't mean there isn't an average..
Yeah I'm not going to bite into an internet web-warrior war...but giving a range of 58-72 MPH is not any sort of an "average." That is a 14 MPH range...that's a joke right?

Mar 10, 2020
I know of NAIA school commits throwing 62+ and D1 girls who are lucky to hit 58.

So many variables to decide where a kid goes to school.

The confidence of some people to say, the "average" is X is comical IMHO. Even worse for those that say you have to throw Y to be even considered by a D1 school. Data is data and the numbers are all over the map, and don't support the casual statements being tossed around.
Concur with your comments. Unfortunately ignorance is bliss to those who know not.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802