Crow hop vs step behind

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Also like seeing the catcher out there ready for the throw!

If positioning of the catcher were in fastpitch.. Looks like a couple of those plays at the plate may be obstruction by where the catcher is standing.
Especially the one where the catcher is standing behind the Baseline and the runner dives in front? What do you think?

A valid question, and I went back to rewatch them just to make sure I didn't step in anything ...

No, I don't have obstruction on any of those, even using various softball rules. MLB (OBR) does give the catcher an allowance for moving into the runner's path if the throw takes him that way, but I am not using that standard. During the couple where the catcher was behind the line, I felt they left a clean path until they had the ball and were making a tag. Notice there was not one collision in that video, not even a runner sliding into a catcher.

Curious to know your take @RADcatcher , but I love everything I am seeing from catchers in that video.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It may not even be a taught move.. they just aren’t trying to crow-hop…

I think this is right. I've had to teach this move, but that's generally with less athletic players. I think those with even decent athleticism would figure out that stepping behind puts your body in the best position.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A valid question, and I went back to rewatch them just to make sure I didn't step in anything ...

No, I don't have obstruction on any of those, even using various softball rules. MLB (OBR) does give the catcher an allowance for moving into the runner's path if the throw takes him that way, but I am not using that standard. During the couple where the catcher was behind the line, I felt they left a clean path until they had the ball and were making a tag. Notice there was not one collision in that video, not even a runner sliding into a catcher.

Curious to know your take @RADcatcher , but I love everything I am seeing from catchers in that video.
Screenshot_20221005-054219_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221005-053653_Chrome.jpg
Thank you for responding and taking a look. The majority of plays in that video the catchers were coming out in front of the plate like it!
However
Perhaps because of where the catcher set up
In this particular play the runner altered their path.
( For some reason on that play that catcher did not set up in front of home plate or Fair side of the foul line)
Of which would NOT suggest a catcher to start off where that catcher was standing.

* not trying to be an Umpire myself 🙂 not at all. However have seen this be obstruction several times in softball.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I looked at that one a few times, but I still see it clean. Catcher is not set up in the runner’s path. In that last frame you posted the catcher is just entering the runner’s path but he has the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee