Crazy situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Right! If a player hits a over the fence homer, its a dead ball, so i team
I was thinking the same thing. Now, a over the fence homerun is a dead ball, so if the whole team ran out on the field and ran the bases with the hitter, as an umpire, I'm not really sure what rule this would violate. Maybe a warning for unsporting behavior?

The OP didn't specify, but it is NCAA and the rule citation is correct. Celebrating players must stay in foul territory. I am not aware of any other code adopting that.

(I had a brain fart at first -- my immediate thought was "There is no RULE 12 ..." Then I remembered USSSA and thought it was that. Looked it up, nope. Then it dawned on me. The OP didn't sound like an NCAA game.)

Regarding the sound and noisemakers ... since most of that crap (drumsticks on buckets, etc.) started in NCAA and is highlighted in the post season, I assumed it was legal. It is not. Fans are indeed under the purview of the facility management, not umpires.

NCAA 2022-2023
5.11 Artificial Noisemakers Use
Objects used to make noise or amplify sound to show support, approval or opposition to playing action, other than body parts, are considered artificial noisemakers. It is not permissible to use equipment to make noise (for example, banging on a bench/bucket with equipment, shoes, or hands, banging bats and balls, etc.).

5.11.1 Spectators shall not use artificial noisemakers, air horns and electronic amplifiers.
EFFECT—Such instruments shall be removed from the spectator areas by the game management personnel. Any subsequent violation by the same individual shall result in removal from the site and the umpire shall file an electronic Incident Report to the NCAA softball secretary-rules editor. See Rule 13.2.1.

5.11.2 The use of artificial noisemakers, musical instruments, air horns and electronic amplifiers by student-athletes and team personnel is prohibited in team areas.
EFFECT—The umpire shall issue a team warning. Any subsequent violation by the same team shall result in a behavioral ejection of the violator. (See Rule 13.2.1.) If the umpire judges the act to be flagrant, the offender shall be ejected without warning.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
So can an umpire hold up a game until the noisemaking fan is dealt with? I see this as similar to holding up the game if the P.A. announcer neglects to turn off the music in between innings when they're ready to play.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
The OP didn't specify, but it is NCAA and the rule citation is correct. Celebrating players must stay in foul territory. I am not aware of any other code adopting that.

(I had a brain fart at first -- my immediate thought was "There is no RULE 12 ..." Then I remembered USSSA and thought it was that. Looked it up, nope. Then it dawned on me. The OP didn't sound like an NCAA game.)

Regarding the sound and noisemakers ... since most of that crap (drumsticks on buckets, etc.) started in NCAA and is highlighted in the post season, I assumed it was legal. It is not. Fans are indeed under the purview of the facility management, not umpires.

NCAA 2022-2023
Objects used to make noise or amplify sound to show support, approval or opposition to playing action, other than body parts, are considered artificial noisemakers. It is not permissible to use equipment to make noise (for example, banging on a bench/bucket with equipment, shoes, or hands, banging bats and balls, etc.).

5.11.1 Spectators shall not use artificial noisemakers, air horns and electronic amplifiers.
EFFECT—Such instruments shall be removed from the spectator areas by the game management personnel. Any subsequent violation by the same individual shall result in removal from the site and the umpire shall file an electronic Incident Report to the NCAA softball secretary-rules editor. See Rule 13.2.1.

5.11.2 The use of artificial noisemakers, musical instruments, air horns and electronic amplifiers by student-athletes and team personnel is prohibited in team areas.
EFFECT—The umpire shall issue a team warning. Any subsequent violation by the same team shall result in a behavioral ejection of the violator. (See Rule 13.2.1.) If the umpire judges the act to be flagrant, the offender shall be ejected without warning.
It was an NCAA game.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

NCAA 2022-2023

I was looking for NFHS noisemaker rules and found nothing. Is this just an NCAA rule?

May 29, 2015
I was looking for NFHS noisemaker rules and found nothing. Is this just an NCAA rule?

NFHS does not have anything specifically in the rule book. There is 3.6.8:

ART. 8 . . . Use of amplifiers, electronic devices that amplify the voice or bullhorns for coaching purposes during the course of the game is prohibited.

What is odd is that it specifically refers to "coaching purposes" but it is listed in the Bench and Field Conduct section, not the Coaching section immediately before (Section 5).

Again, as for the crowd, they would be governed under rules of the facility, not necessarily rules of the game. That said, the umpire has jurisdiction over the playing conditions on the field. If something in the stands is not allowing the game on the field to be played appropriately (or safely), stop the game and let the facility administrator handle it. Headlights from the car in centerfield, flash photography, dueling DJ dads, sailors giving vernacular lessons to the umpires ...

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
Fans are not under the authority of the umpire. Contrary to the way youth sports have bastardized that.
IHSAA (Indiana) has authorized game officials the ability to ask for fans to be removed. If that happens fans are also assessed a one game suspension by the school/IHSAA.

Yes, I have seen it done in softball and basketball.

Coaches are now assessed two game suspensions for being removed from a game.

This is how bad it is getting.

Our coaching staff just discussed this with our players last night. As far as they (players and parents) are concerned the umpires are always correct. If we (coaches) disagree we will discuss it with them in a manor that will not embarrass anyone.

May 29, 2015
IHSAA (Indiana) has authorized game officials the ability to ask for fans to be removed. If that happens fans are also assessed a one game suspension by the school/IHSAA.

This is how it should be addressed anywhere. I didn't mean to give the impression that we don't have any position in the situation -- what I am saying is an umpire should not engage with the fan or turn around and give the heave-ho sign as we would to a coach or a player. The official should stop the game until the fan has been dealt with by the facility management. If facility management won't deal with it, the game is over.

I applaud the state association for beginning to associate a penalty for the action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802