courtesy runners

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2012
Hey all,

want to check the ruling for the courtesy runners for the pitchers and catchers in high school. So our coach usually has three subs on our bench and they are used to run for the pitcher and catcher.. about half way through the game, he might put those subs in for other girls in the game, but then uses those girls that are taken out as the courtesy runners.. is that legal? i thought was the subs go into the game they are done being runners?

Jan 22, 2011
Umpires don't always catch it, but that is considered an illegal substitution. Looks like penalty would be that player is restricted to the bench for the rest of the game.

courtesyrunners.PNG

Apr 7, 2012
thanks.. well the umpires havent been catching it like the last 3-4 games.. and the coaches of the other team havent been saying anything at all.. That is the way I took the rule as well.

May 16, 2012
Missouri
The umpires who don't catch it are the ones who don't write it down when the coach sends in a CR. I treat it like a sub(it's not) just so I can keep track of who has been used.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The umpires who don't catch it are the ones who don't write it down when the coach sends in a CR. I treat it like a sub(it's not) just so I can keep track of who has been used.
^^^^^^
When umpiring I write down EVERYTHING TWICE - once on the lineup card and once on the back of one of the cards. You can recreate the games subs/cr/p&c/conferneces from my lineup cards.

And as you can see from replies here; once a sub has entered the game, they can no longer be used as a CR even if they have been removed from the game.

If you are umpiring and you have written everything down, you will catch it and you can prevent it before it even happens. Which you should do - even though in the end it is the coaches responsibility.

As a coach, you don't want to get it wrong - if you send the wrong CR in it is an out and a the player is restricted to the bench.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802