Courtesy Runner for a Courtesy Runner........

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 25, 2019
Had a game today, a courtesy runner went on first to run for pitcher. CR steals 2nd and gets hurt. Now, can you have a courtesy runner for her, or would that be a substitute? I just allowed another CR for her, but not sure.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Had a game today, a courtesy runner went on first to run for pitcher. CR steals 2nd and gets hurt. Now, can you have a courtesy runner for her, or would that be a substitute? I just allowed another CR for her, but not sure.
That was a nice courtesy :)

Good question!

Aug 1, 2019
MN
NFHS: ....a courtesy runner shall not run for a courtesy runner. When a legal substitute replaces a courtesy runner, the player for whom she was running has left the game.
Exceptions:
....2. When the courtesy runner is injured or dq'd, the player for whom she is running (pitcher or catcher) may return to run the bases or a legal substitute may be entered.

Aug 25, 2019
This was USSSA (I asked the question because I'm too lazy to look it up).....But I did, and here what USSSA rules say:

Section 3: Courtesy Runner

E: Once a courtesy runner is designated for that half inning, no other courtesy runner or the pitcher or catcher may return to run for the original courtesy runner. Should an injury occur, another courtesy runner or the pitcher or catcher may run until they score or are put out

Now I guess they mean a injury to the courtesy runner, so I believe I was right in allowing another Courtesy runner.

Aug 25, 2019
But did you allow the correct courtesy runner?:unsure::)
Well, now that I thought about it a bit, in the three years of umpiring, all levels, I never ever checked if the right courtesy runner was put in, wether they were a sub or LCAB. Is it the umpire responsibility or the other team to call it out, because in all those three years, not only I never checked, neither did the opposite team, ever. No one ever seems concerned with who the courtesy runner is.

Mar 1, 2013
Well, now that I thought about it a bit, in the three years of umpiring, all levels, I never ever checked if the right courtesy runner was put in, wether they were a sub or LCAB. Is it the umpire responsibility or the other team to call it out, because in all those three years, not only I never checked, neither did the opposite team, ever. No one ever seems concerned with who the courtesy runner is.
Depends on the situation. If we have lineups and standard CR rules, I’m for sure checking to be certain the legal CR is entering. Those “last out” (and it drives me crazy when they start with “last batted out”) courtesy runners, I’ll just say, “give me the last out” and let them on. In this case, it’s entirely on the people keeping the books to make sure that’s right.

May 29, 2015

😁

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802