Could college softball players make good money in a few years?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 5, 2016
On a related tangent, is the number of good softball players continuing to grow? Sure seems like it. The ACC is now a force to be reckoned with where, before, it was just Florida State.

Jun 8, 2016
On a related tangent, is the number of good softball players continuing to grow? Sure seems like it. The ACC is now a force to be reckoned with where, before, it was just Florida State.
As a much as some rail against the TB model (for good reasons in some cases), the fact that players from all over the country can play against the top competition in the country has helped (along with better instruction, indoor facilities in cold places, etc) improve the overall quality of play.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Because opportunities have grown,
so have the players seeking those opportunities.

Apr 8, 2019
The NLI stuff is coming. I am far from an expert but I foresee teams securing team NLI’s where every player gets a part of the pot of money.

And boosters getting involved… How do you avoid that… SHOULD that be avoided? Idk.
Colleges are losing their minds over NLI implications. The money has gotten very large very quickly and kids are flocking to the portal in hopes of getting rich.

Nearly all of them will be disappointed but boosters are just straight up buying top recruits. There is also a fair amount of evidence that a few very well funded schools in large cities (cough cough LA) are actively working with local businesses to funnel money to top talent.

Getting these kids paid sounded like a great idea, but it seems likely that it is already going off the rails. Nearly every school hates it and I won't be surprised if there aren't restrictions placed on NLI deals in the near future.

Jun 8, 2016
Colleges are losing their minds over NLI implications. The money has gotten very large very quickly and kids are flocking to the portal in hopes of getting rich.

Nearly all of them will be disappointed but boosters are just straight up buying top recruits. There is also a fair amount of evidence that a few very well funded schools in large cities (cough cough LA) are actively working with local businesses to funnel money to top talent.

Getting these kids paid sounded like a great idea, but it seems likely that it is already going off the rails. Nearly every school hates it and I won't be surprised if there aren't restrictions placed on NLI deals in the near future.
The NCAA knew this was coming and never figured out a good way of handling it...go figure.

Apr 1, 2017
There is huge money available, so not a perfect match to softball, but look at men’s bball as the extreme example of what could happen.

There are 358 Div 1 bball teams. Last count i saw was close to 1,500 players using the portal. That’s +/- 4 players on every team moving. NIL money is a big reason for it.

Completely guessing on my part, but I think softball will have a handful of “super teams” with alumni that are willing to pay for the best team available. Unlike bball, I don’t think the pool of schools/alums willing to do that for softball is that deep

Feb 15, 2017
The NLI stuff is coming. I am far from an expert but I foresee teams securing team NLI’s where every player gets a part of the pot of money.

And boosters getting involved… How do you avoid that… SHOULD that be avoided? Idk.
I think Murph has said Bama softball players are getting NLI money as a team aside for player NIL deals.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jul 14, 2018
There is also a fair amount of evidence that a few very well funded schools in large cities (cough cough LA) are actively working with local businesses to funnel money to top talent.

Makes you wonder if some mid-level programs in major media markets will start to become more successful. If there’s more NLI opportunities at Columbia, Drexel, Northwestern, etc. it might become more attractive than playing in Norman or Tallahassee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Hmmm🤔
GLAM $$$$$Money adds another reason for people/players to consider team selection.
if certain colleges already have their starlets in place
and the goal becomes a player wants to be a Starlet also
(outside of academics and being a team member.)
Yes, can see The Shining Camera and Marketing Accessories being a lure swaying player decisions.

Heck social media is part of their life already.
Add $$$$ bingo!

College 'A' already has their starlets in place for the next four years.
College 'B' needs to grow they're GLAM so they go to college 'B'.
More attention in the Limelight.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812